06. Jiyong

Bom was talking, but I had yet to hear a single word she’d said.

My lunch with Dara had been hours ago, and I hadn’t been able to focus since. I hadn’t accomplished a single thing once I’d returned to my office.

As soon as I’d laid my eyes on Dara, I had been blown away by her beauty, again. That heart-shaped face, those eyes, that wide smile, her delicious curves, her ass … it was all as stunning as I remembered. But any thoughts of bringing her up to my penthouse and burying my dick between her slick folds had vanished the second she turned serious.

When Dara told me her daughter was mine, my mind had gone blank.

Completely.

I prided myself on my ability to handle any situation, yet I wasn’t prepared for this one. My dismissal of her had been purely self-serving. I needed time to process and think—which I couldn’t do while she sat in front of me, staring with those round hazel eyes.

Kids weren’t completely off the table, but they sure as hell weren’t part of my five-year plan. I had been extremely careful with my past conquests.

Dara had been the only one-night stand I’d had without protection.

And apparently, she’d had my kid.

I wasn’t an idiot. I knew the pill failing wasn’t unheard of and tended to happen more often than people realized. We had been consenting adults, and we were both responsible. If the kid was mine, I would do right by her.

After all, I wasn’t a complete bastard.

But the random timing of her admission gave me cause for concern.

I had sensed she wasn’t telling me something and, yet, I believed her when she claimed she didn’t want money. I’d been around plenty of gold diggers and believed I could spot the differences. Dara’s clothes had been stylish and well taken care of. Not expensive, but clearly new and well cared for. She had also walked away from a free meal without even hesitating, something most people didn’t do if money was tight.

“Sir?”

I blinked and glanced up at Bom. I had completely forgotten she was there. “I’m sorry, what were you saying?”

“I wanted to know if you needed me to come with you to the marketing meeting on Thursday to take notes.”

“Yes. You’re familiar with Dong’s work. What can you tell me about him?”

“Well, he’s aggressive.” Bom held her pencil against her lip. “He knows that his company is the best, and he won’t hesitate to remind you of that. But the work they do is spectacular, so he’s earned his bragging rights.”

“He certainly does like to brag,” I muttered, running a hand through my hair.

Bom studied me curiously before she spoke again. “Are you all right? You’re looking a little pale.”

This time I couldn’t blame her concern on interfering. The truth was, I wasn’t okay—far from it. I was sure it was written all over my face.

“Clear my schedule for tomorrow,” I ordered, getting to my feet. I needed to go home and process where I wouldn’t be disturbed.

“Oh, are you not feeling well?” Bom took a step closer. “I can make an appointment with your doctor if you’d like.”

“Not necessary.” I shut down my computer and closed the file I’d been attempting to read. “Just make sure you take messages tomorrow and keep working on that task list I gave you. I’ll have my cell on me if anything major comes up.”