Chapter 2

Marinette's POV

     Alix took the lead as our little group raced towards the containers to gather our supplies. As I searched through the piles, I found canvases, beads, pencils, paint, feathers, everything any artist could want! Sifting towards the bottom of a purple bin, I found some pale blue fleece material. Hmm, what could I make this into? The wheels started to turn in my brain and slowly, an idea came to me. How about a pair of slippers like the ones I made for Grandpa last Christmas? I just need some cardboard for the soles, and some thread and needles. A few minutes later, and I had everything I needed.

     I raced back to where Nathaniel was working, thankfully without any major tripping. Nathaniel was sketching something on a piece of paper; it looked like one of his comic strips. "Where's Alix?" I asked as I laid my materials out onto the floor beside him.

     "She's outside with some of the others spray painting canvases."

     "I see. I like your drawing so far." He was sketching one of his classic Ladybug and Super Nathan stories.

     "Thank you," he mumbled, blushing.

     I set to work on my slippers. First, I traced and cut out soles using the bottoms of my shoes. Then I cut pieces of the fabric out to form the rest of the shoe. I used a few of the needles to set the material in place and began sewing. Thirty minutes later and the base of the design was done. I studied my handiwork, the way the material overlapped to create texture and how the toe was nice and slender. "They just need something more, a little 'je ne sais quoi'," I said, scratching my head.

     "Fifteen minutes left for your creative projects!" the announcer called.

     "Oh, I know. Satin bows!" Standing up, I ran as fast as I could to the bins and started searching.

     "Five minutes artists!"

     Panic started to take over when I found some blue satin ribbon. And it was the perfect shade! Back at my spot, I sewed a tiny bow onto each of the toes swiftly. Just as I cut the thread, a gong rang, announcing the end of our hour. I held my shoes up to the light and studied them. They were just right.

     "Everyone, please get ready for judging!" the announcer called. He stepped off the stage and three other judges joined him as they walked over to the corner opposite of me. They stopped to see each person's creation, and each wrote something on their clipboard. Finally, they stepped up to our group: Nathaniel, Alix, who had shown up for judging, and me.

     "Hello ladies, young man," a woman said, nodding her head to each in turn. "Let us see your presentations. You go first," she said, pointing to Nathaniel.

     "I-I am Nathaniel Kurtzberg from Francois Dupont High School in Paris, France and I created a comic about the superhero Ladybug and her imaginary sidekick Super Nathan." He handed his drawing to one of the judges, who was none other than Natalie holding a tablet with Gabriel Agreste's picture.

     "Each drawing is concise and neat. I have no doubt of who it is," he said, his jaw tightening.

     Natalie handed it to a female judge who was standing next to her. "You have a wonderful imagination. I can see the story playing throughout each picture, despite there not being any words." The rest of the judges had similar reviews and they stood together a moment, taking notes.

     "You are next," a male judge said, pointing to Marinette.

     "I am Marinette Dupain-Cheng, also from Francois Dupont High School in Paris, France and these are a pair of slippers that I created." I handed them to the male judge who also happened to be the announcer.