006.

Yamaguchi stayed as happy as ever as the day went by, even when he got a few weird stares, even when the classwork made no sense, and even as he quickly was redoing his wet homework during his lunch break.

"i'm not saying it's a bad thing...but why are you so happy?"

"what do you mean, Tsukki?"

"i mean...aren't you upset with me?"

Yamaguchi paused, letting a small sigh leave his lips with a sad smile. He dropped his pencil and turned towards Tsukishima.

"i'm trying not to be upset, besides, we'll get over it soon."

the darker haired boy flashed the blond another wide and toothy grin like he did earlier, but the blond was not letting it slide this time.

"Yamaguchi...you're hiding something from me. i know you are."

his voice was stern, and it made the freckled boy tense.
his smile faltered, and began to turn into a frown when he saw the blond bury his face into his hands.

"i don't wanna force you to tell me, but you know you could talk to me, right? lately you haven't even bothered to even look at me...but i know you're talking with someone else, and it's nice to see you happier, but i just wanna know why can't you trust me?"

he looked back up at Yamaguchi with piercing eyes. he felt his eyes watering up like the day before, but the freckled boy wasn't going to run away again. he couldn't do that every time he felt like crying. he had to say something to him, without letting him know.

"you're right, i am getting help from someone else, but it's not because i don't trust you. i'm supposed to figure this out on my own...but i just can't..."

he carefully wiped away the tears that threatened to fall.

"i can't do it alone and yesterday...i felt like the pain was relieved. he took me home on his motorcycle and i never felt more alive. he seems so fun and really caring...i was thinking of-"

"who is he? and how come i've never met him?"

"his name is Terushima, i just met him yesterday and i was thinking about his offer to-"

"Yamaguchi."

the blonde called out his name ima time he knew far too well. not angry or upset, but still stern. when Yamaguchi looked at him, he could see the concern in his eyes. if he wasn't wearing makeup, he probably would've broken down right there. they are close, oh so close, but not the way he wants them to be.

"i'll be okay, Tsukki. i'll be fine, trust."

he gathered enough courage to look at the blonde and flash him a smile. Tsukishima shook his head in response, but he knew Yamaguchi was at his breaking point.

"i trust you, but not this Terushima guy, you only met him yesterday, be careful."

the freckled boy let out a soft "i know" as the bell rang and alerted them to go to their seats before class started up again.

the rest of the day was quiet between them, only talking when it deemed necessary to. if any of their team members noticed, they
did not say a word about it.

~~~

fortunately for Yamaguchi, practice ended early, but then Hinata and Noya suggested they go get popsicles at Ukai's convenience store. he awkwardly declined which gave him weird looks from the team. the short and energetic tangerine was the first to speak up about it,

"does it have something to do with the makeup you wore today?"

the freckled boy was taken by surprise, but so were the other members, even more so than Yamaguchi. they all turned to him, curious of what he had to say.

"well its true i wore some makeup today i-"

"wow i didn't know could could do makeup Yamguchi! that's awesome," Suga remarked, playfully punching his shoulder.

"i'm interested in seeing what he looks like," Ennoshita said, receiving nods of agreement by most of the team.

"Yamaguchi when did you learn-"

"alright thats enough, you're making him uncomfortable."

the blonde spoke up, seeing as his dark haired friend was getting bombarded with questions that seemed to make him nervous. Yamaguchi silently thanked the blonde, before speaking up.

"i'll show you guys another time and answer all your questions but i really should be heading off right now."

he gave his team an awkward smile and a wave goodbye before quickly turning to the direction of the park.

"say, isn't that the opposite way of his home?"

Daichi brought this up to question, and the team all turned to Tsukkishima, urging him for answers with their stares.

"stop staring at me, i don't have answers either."

the blonde put on his headphones and walked opposite of Yamaguch, or in other words, to his home. team members were all quite confused, but paid no mind to it, focusing on what they were going to ask Yamaguchi tomorrow.

~~~

the said freckled boy, began sprinting when he could no longer see his team mates in his sight. he only had a short whole before he had to get home, and he really wanted to meet up with Terushima before then.

he caught his breath at the same fountain he stood at yesterday, face red, and feeling a little bit more than exhausted because he just left practice.

"now to find him..."

"find who?"

he turned to face behind him, alarmed and ready to run if he didn't feel safe. to his surprise though, it was the face he was looking for. he let out a relieved sigh.

"you really scared me there Terushima."

"sorry freckles, i won't do it again."

the half-blonde extended his hand out, little finger out, urging Yamaguchi to do the same.

"you promise?"

"i promise."

they intertwined their fingers together, at first grinning like idiots, before looking at each other and bursting out into a laughing fit. that was the start of something beautiful waiting to bloom.

word count| 1006
time taken| around three days.