003.

classes started soon after Yamaguchi was left alone with his thoughts, but the boy had a very difficult time focusing. when would he even need to figure out the volume of a doughnut anyway?

although Yamaguchi found it hard to foucus, he wished class went on longer. before he knew it, it was lunch time and so he took out the snacks he brought from last night to eat. he knew himself well enough to know that he wouldn't be able to stomach a full lunch right now.

"Yamaguchi."

he knew the who was calling out to him but he still wished that he could be proven wrong by some miracle. still, he looked up to face the owner of the voice, and sure enough it was still Tsukishima. what he didn't expect though, was the disapproving look on his face.

"what's wrong tsu-"

"what the hell are you eating? where's your lunch?"

the very stern tone in his voice also took him aback. in the years that he's known him, he's never seen Tsukishima Kei get mad, only irritated or annoyed. it was clear to him at that moment though, that the blonde was definitely angry.

"i just picked up something from the convenience store before i came, i'm not feeling very hungry today."

"you rarely ever skip a meal,  and when you do its because something is bothering you."

"nothing is wrong Tsukki, please stop worrying about it."

the dark haired boy gave the blonde a side smile, hoping that he would drop the subject and move on, but it seemed to only anger him more. his hands gripped the edges of Yamaguchi's desk.

"you're not acting like yourself lately, in fact, you're barely even looking at me! i'm you're best friend aren't i? why the hell are you ignoring me, why won't you just fucking talk to me?"

the shorter boy's heart felt like it was shattered into pieces. the last thing he needed was getting yelled at, and by Tsukki— no less. his eyes began to brim with tears and thats when realization hit Tsukishima.

"Yamaguchi i'm so-"

"please don't."

his voice came out shaky as he spoke, but it was the best he could manage with the lump in his throat threatening to fall out.

"i... i'm gonna go."

he swung his backpack over his shoulder and walked away without looking back. Tsukishima extended his hand out to grab his arm, but Yamaguchi harshly pulled it away. the blonde let his hand drop to his side and watched him walk away. his temper got the best of him, and lashed out an a Yamaguchi he knew wasn't doing so well.

"i really fucked up bad this time didn't i..."

• • •

the tears in the boy's eyes threatened to fall as he walked, but he continued on with his head held low so no one could see. a lump began to from in his throat, making it impossible for him to speak without wanting to just cry out. he ignored any people he might have passed by as he made his way to the roof. as he walked up the flights of stairs, the freckled boy wondered if the door would even be unlocked. fortunately for him, fate was on his side this time, and the door to the roof was left open. he made sure to let the door close behind him and locked it before he let his backpack drop to the floor.

his knees gave in, and he dropped to the floor as well. the tears that stung his tired eyes began to fall, and the lump caught in his throat couldn't be repressed any longer. he let out a loud sob, letting himself fall apart.