Wedding Planning

Jade

One week.

One week had been the worst days of my life. After losing Jamie, my life seemed to be spiraling out of control. I was going to be married to someone I had no feelings for, in addition to becoming Alpha of an entire pack. Being recognized as Alpha was going to happen in a couple of days, and I wasn't ready for it.

To make things worse, my father's memory was rapidly slipping. A few days before, we noticed him forgetting simple things, like where his shoes were. With each day however, it was getting to the point where he even forgot about the upcoming wedding.

I desperately wanted to use it to my advantage, to call it off. I just knew that he was right about needing a little help with pack work. Hopefully Kyle was capable of it.

So there I was. Standing in a shop, looking for a wedding dress with my mother. Since werewolves never really got married, we had to go to a nearby human city.

"What's the point in this wedding?" I grunted, "I don't have to be married to Kyle for him to help me."

"It shows you're serious." My mother replied, "The pack doesn't have to worry about one of their Alpha's not commiting to the role."

I rolled my eyes, "I hate the thought of kissing him."

"Can I help you find anything?" A young lady approached us with a kind smile.

"We're just looking for now." My mother replied, smiling back at her, "We're trying to find a wedding dress for my daughter's upcoming marriage."

"Not too expensive." I added, assuming we couldn't afford most of the beautiful dresses I saw around me.

"Kyle's family will be paying, dear." My mother told me, "Reese, his father, said the price doesn't matter."

"Of course they'll pay." I muttered, "Kyle doesn't want me backing out due to costs."

"Well, let me know if you need assistance." The woman awkwardly turned to find someone else to help.

"Let's get this over with." I made my way to the back wall of the shop, scanning the line of white dresses.

I gently ran my hand along a silky smooth, ankle lenth dress with half sleeves. It's not what I would choose if my wedding was actually about me, but it was nice. I also wasn't fond of the idea of letting Kyle see too low on my chest.

"That dress is so plain." My mother complained, "Honey, you could get the most expensive one here if you wanted to."

"I don't want to look too nice in front of Kyle." I replied, still staring at it, then as quiet as possible, muttered, "Or give him any ideas for after the ceremony."

"What happened to you, Jade?" She asked with a sigh, "I saw how you used to look at him with love in your eyes."

"I never loved him, mom." I reluctantly started looking at other dresses, "It was just some stupid trance he'd put me in."

"That trance is called love." She insisted, "He has always been so sweet to you. And he's handsome!"

"Have you ever noticed how rude he can be to the pack?" I almost snapped, then quieted down when I remembered we were surrounded by humans, "Even if I did love him, I can't have him running it with me. He won't put them first."

She got quiet after that, as if realizing I had a point. Or she just realized she was getting nowhere trying to change my mind. I instantly felt bad about it, but just continued with the search.

I eventually rested my eyes on a beautiful ankle length dress. It was somewhat poofy with lace half sleeves. Running my hand along it, It only took a moment to decide this was the best one I'd be willing to get.