When It Rains, It Pours

The next morning, I found myself running to Samantha's place. She was the only person I felt like talking to at the time. She always seemed to be able to cheer me up, even in the worst times.

She opened the door within seconds of me knocking, "Hey!"

"Did you know I was coming or something?" I asked as she pulled me inside.

"Nope." She squeaked, dragging me upstairs and to her room, "You just caught me as I was walking by."

I sat on her bed while she closed the door, "How was your night?"

"Oh, just get to it." She said, "What happened last night?"

"How do you know something happened?" I asked.

She sat next to me, "You're easier to read than you think."

I then told her everything. From how my father had acted when he first saw me to finding out about the tumour. It felt good talking with someone who wouldn't get too upset. Samantha had only met him a couple of times when we were younger.

"Oh, Jade..." She murmured, "I'm so sorry."

I shook my head, looking out the window at the bright blue sky, "I just wanted to talk to someone, to get my mind off it."

"Well, in that case." She hesitated, before getting up to search her closet, "Destiny's brother is throwing a small party later tonight, if you'd like to join."

I tilted my head, "I didn't know she had a brother."

"Me neither, until a few hours ago, actually." She said, pulling out a handful of clothing items, "She didn't tell me his name, and she seemed embarrassed to say he was her brother."

"Maybe it's that teen who keeps getting caught shoplifting." I joked as the clothes were placed beside me, "What are all these for?"

"I can't decide whether I should wear a short dress, or short skirt." She explained, holding one of each on either side of her, "What do you think?"

"The dress looks less revealing." I said.

"The skirt it is!" She squeaked, putting them down to find a shirt to go with it.

"Why would you want to dress like that?" I asked, shuddering as the memory of my capture flashed through my mind "There might be creeps hanging around."

"They couldn't touch me if they tried." She stated, "Why don't you go over to Jamie's and invite him?"

I hesitated, looking away while she tried on the outfit, "I don't even know where the party's going to be."

"Just meet us here at eight. Destiny will have to get us there."

After hesitating again, I finally agreed and headed out. Making my way to Jamie's house, I hoped this party wouldn't cause any problems.

Approaching the house, I saw my father bangjng on the door, "Get out here, fox!"

I picked up my pace, "Dad, what are you doing?"

"Jade, tell me the truth." He growled, turning to me, "Is this thing your mate?"

"No." I replied calmly, "What makes you think that?"

"I just found out that it was with you when you ran away from us." His growling grew louder, "You ran to hide it!"

The door opened to Jamie standing there, for once without his hat, "Yes, it's true."

I stared at the handsome man in disbelief, "Jamie, what are you doing?"

Stepping past my fuming father, he took both my hands in his, "He would have found out sooner or later. I'd rather leave than make you go through the torment of hidin' it."