#3. Crossing Paths

Lyric

Monday morning rolled around eventually and I was woken up with a massive pillow plummeting the side of my face.
"AVA!!" I shouted, sinking under the doona.
"Get up you lousy ass! It's twenty minutes before school starts!" She shouted right back at me, while pulling the doona back off my head. I had the sudden urge to punch her right then and there.
"Then why the hell are you here?!"
"I'm here to wake you up dimwit!"
"Stop calling me names before I ingrave yours into your forehead with my fist!"
"Then get up!"
She was so annoying! Sometimes I wished that she'd be less... Less.. Annoying!
"I'm awake! Now get to school!" I told her, sitting up in the bed.
"Whatever!" She said and stormed out. Sighing, I stood up and ran a hand through my hair, shaking the grogginess out of my skull. I wasn't really looking forward to today.

I remembered Milo's words, "Promise me that whatever they say or do, you won't ever believe they're better than you..." I had to try and believe in myself for Milo. I had to be confident.

And with that thought, I marched like a determined madwoman into the shower. Well, I walked into the locked door but let's pretend that never happened.

I was already late when I left home but I knew the bell wouldn't ring for homeroom in another five minutes. So I jogged to my motorcycle and hopped on, slipping on my gloves and helmet in a flash and riding off to school. The school wasn't far so it took me three minutes to get to school only to find people were still lingering outside.

Not really bothering to watch and gawk at how much the school changed, I revved my engine and went to park it before I got off and pulled off my helmet. I kept my gloves on because I loved my gloves, and I never took it off unless I was goung inside the house.

I looked up from my bikes compartment only to see all eyes on me. I quickly averted my eyes and tried to calm myself down. Breathe in. Breathe out. Why was everybody looking at me?! Oh yes. They didn't remember me. I was practically a new girl.

And you're driving a motorcycle! Screamed my subconcious.

Closing my eyes, I tried to calmed my nerves. My heart was hammering under my ribs and my palms were getting sweaty. My heartbeat felt so loud like it was rebounding off walls in my ears and drowning out all other noise. It's okay. Don't worry. They'll get over you soon. I sighed, lifted my head up and walked through the parking lot and into the front doors of the school. As soon as I entered, all eyes in the corridor turned to me, everybody was eyeing me up and down and I suddenly felt self-concious of what I was wearing? Was it weird? Should I have worn something more casual?

I was wearing a black female fitted leather jacket, a black thin short sleeve shirt underneath and leather tights that had a thich black belt with silver hooks and combat boots. I pretended not to see them all watching my every move and proceeded to the front office. I couldn't act shy, just hard to get. I could change my shyness to bitchiness. Pretend I didn't want to talk to them, but that was rude. I'd be nice but I'd know my standards. Yeah.

I made my way through the school like I knew the place off by heart (which I did) and noticed that I didn't see recognition in any of my old peers faces. Why didn't they recognise me? Did they not know who I was?

But then again, back then I used to wear dresses, I used to put on make up, I used to fan about boys, I used to be shy. But right now I was wearing combat boots, I only had eyeliner and mascara on, I wasn't even giving the boys a sideways glance, and I was walking confidently.

Right now, I was the new girl.

I turned the last corner to the office only to see Axel, he was standing there arms crossed talking with a boy. His back was to me but the other boys eyes passed over me and his eyes windened. I averted my gaze and kept on walking straight past him and into the office.