Chapter Fifty Four: Try

Start from the beginning

" He's still there ?"

She nodded her head, guiding me through the house, and I caught a glimpse of Tara in her hospital bed, still in bad shape. I shuttered at the memory and followed Denise up the stairs and down the hallway until we stood in front of a brown door.

" He's in here. You really are great with kids. I seen you at the school and with your siblings. Natalia made a great choice choosing you." Denise stated, giving my shoulder a squeeze and leaving back downstairs.

Despite Denise's words, I wonder if she was right. I opened the bedroom door and noticed the lamp was on while little cries came from under the bed. I slowly walked over and crouched down, not wanting to scare him too much.

" Luke ?"

" Mrs. Dixon ?" His little voice asked, and it melted my heart, hearing how broken and scared he sounded.

" Yeah, it's me."

" What you doing here ?"

Memories of Natalia's death floated in my head, and I took a deep breath looking to the ground." I was...I was there when your Aunt died. She told me to look after you, and that's why I'm here." I answered.

" I have no one."

" That's not true," I said, sitting on the ground since my legs were beginning to hurt.

" What you know about lost ?" He snapped, and I knew he was only retaliating in fear and hurt.

" I know everything about lost." I stated going into the deep parts of my brain." My first best friend in this walker world was killed. Her name was Amy. I lost a little girl named Sophia. She was young and...it hit me hard. Then I lost my uncle Shane, but he was a maniac anyway. My stepmother died giving birth to my little sister. I lost so many people, so I want you to know that I know how you feel. Pain hurts, and you think you're alone, but you're really not, buddy. You have me. I'll protect you."

To my surprise, Luke poked his head out from under the bed and looked up to me with glossy eyes. It was at this moment I realized how cute the little guy was. He had curly hair and chocolate brown eyes that was too darn cute.

" Do you mean it ?"

I nodded my head," Of course. Me and my husband will. His name is Daryl."

" The guy with the crossbow !" Luke gasped, and I laughed at his little reaction.

" Yeah, the one with the crossbow." I said, watching him come out from under the bed completely with a baby blue blanket." You wanna come stay at my place ?"

" I wanna go to my house." He whispered, and I nodded my head, knowing the place would be abandoned since Natalia would not need it.

" Sure," I said, getting up off the ground and holding his hand.

I bid Denise a quick goodbye and followed Luke's direction to his old house seeing it was across the street from my own home. Now I knew I didn't imagine things. Yesterday when walking with Daryl, I did see a little boy and that little boy just happened to be Luke. He picked the vase's spare key, and I opened the door seeing it was a beautiful home.

The minute you walk in, the staircase was by the right while the first level to the left was the living room with navy blue and grey decor. I locked the door behind me and took Luke upstairs, seeing he led me to a room with a NASA poster on the door. Luke opened the door, and I smiled, seeing a baby blue room with Space decor everywhere.

Even the ceiling had fake glow in the dark stars, and the light was the sun's shape. Luke released my hand, running over to his bed and getting under the covers holding his stitch plush toy in his arms.