Chapter Nineteen: Seed

┏━━━━━━Kayla's Pov━━━━━━┓

It's been over eight months since the farm. Both cruel and painful eight months. Lori has been getting bigger and bigger every month. I swore every time I look at her, she looked smaller the day before. It was hard for her the most. Pregnant and running didn't seem like a day in the park. Even more when your son and husband had deep anger at you. I could tell Dad still loved her, but it's just so far away.

From what I could make out, the world ended in September and we had abandoned the farm in November. With the eight longing months, we were now in August back to the heat and it was clear Lori was going to have a summer baby. For me, I knew if it really was August, I was twenty six now. Almost a year into this world and I was still alive.

We stood in front of a house, ready to storm inside. It was Dad, T-dog, Daryl, Carl, and I outside. Dad made the single to go in, and we stormed in. Dad got the first walker while T-Dog got the next one. I stood there, keeping guard till Daryl came back. Daryl and I then went upstairs and saw an owl. I grabbed my bow and arrow out first, but Daryl got it. Over the eight months, we kept track of who killed more. I started to leave, but he grabbed my arm.

" Hey, let me get your lips first." He said, leaning down and kissing my lips.

I smiled, pulling him towards me." Don't worry, you'll get more soon." I devilish teased before winking and went downstairs to see Lori and Beth come in.

I went into the kitchen to see Carl come out with dog food. I didn't stop him because it was the best we had in three months. We haven't eaten anything really good for three months: just water and occasional fruits and veggies. Anything a bit better always went to Lori, and we didn't complain.

She needed it more since having a baby in her was risky enough. Dad saw Carl with the food and threw it in the fireplace, causing Daryl and I to jump. I looked down at the owl in Daryl's hand, knowing it could be the next food we could all eat. It was big enough, and I smiled, learning some good food could land in us.

" Psst," T-dog said, indicating walkers were coming.

I grabbed my stuff and ran outside quickly, seeing a walker tried to get Lori, but I stabbed it. She smiled, and we ran hand and hand to Dad's car. Carol helped her in the car, and I ran to Daryl's bike. He turned it on, and we were now on the dirt path again for the eighth time. As we were on the road, I hugged Daryl tight. He looked in the rearview mirror and smiled. I smiled back and rested my head on his back.

" Go to sleep. You haven't in a while." Daryl argued.

It was true. I haven't slept generally since the fall of the farm. It was either we were on the road so long at night, or we were fighting walkers. Even at times, we got to have peace at night, I never slept. I would just watch Daryl sleep or just keep watch. Even when others kept watch, I was still awake. Watching the sunrise and set each and every day. I shook my head no, and he let out a deep breath. He's been worried about me for three months when he found out I didn't sleep.

He tried to even stay up with me, but failed sometimes and fell asleep. Dad was worried about me, not sleeping. He even tried to stay up too. I told him to get rest because he started to grown white hair and under-eye bags. We made it to a dirt road when we all stopped. Beth and Carl were on watch while the others talked. I walked to Mom and smiled.

" Thank you for killing that walker for me." Mom said, rubbing her swollen stomach.

I nodded and smiled." I want to protect you and the baby, even Carl, and Dad." I said before looking down at her swollen stomach." What do you think it is ?" I asked.