Chapter One: The Beginning

┏━━━━━━ Kayla's Pov ━━━━━━┓

Two months....
Sixty Days....
Eighty-six thousand four hundred minutes....

That's how long it's been since shit hit the fan. I don't know how to describe it. When people thought about the end of the world, it was mostly from asteroids hurling towards earth or Anarchy taking over the country. Ours started with an outbreak. One minute people were getting sick with fevers and the next minute they were dying. It was the seconds that caused the end of the world.

Seconds did it take for those same dead ones to come back having no control over their state and eating those who were alive. We called them Walkers. Deadbeings that roamed the earth now yearning for human flesh. Dead beings that caused our government to collapse, our power to be shutdown, and our safety to be compromised.

While it was two months since the world crumbled, it had been two months since my own personal life did as well. I had everything. I had a mom, dad, and brother living in our nice house and neighborhood. I went to Emory college and I was on my last year till getting my bachelor's degree in Early Education of Children. I was two weeks from moving out and getting my own apartment, when I got the phone call.

My dad had been shot while on duty. Little did I know that wasn't the worst part to come. Sometimes, I wish I could go back to that moment and prepare myself because only a week after that happening did the Walkers invade Georgia and my father dying. I shook my head getting the thought out of my head. I didn't like going back to the place. It was in the past and I wanted to leave it in the past. I couldn't change it so while stay there.

It was a summer day, where all you wanted to do was turn the ac on and fall asleep. It would be nice to do that, but sadly I lost all of that. It didn't bother me that I lost it, but I felt bad for kids like Carl, Sophia, Eliza, and Noah. I walked around camp, smiling at the Dale and Andrea, who were on top of the Rv keeping watch if any walkers or people came our way. Sophia was by the fire alone, but the minute she saw me, a smile formed on her pale skin.

" Hey, Kayla."

" Hey, what you doing ?" I said, smiling to the little girl in front of me.

 She smiled back, putting her hands towards the fire a bit." Making smores with Carl. He went to get the ingredient while I make the fire." She said, and I nodded happily that they can still have some sort of fun while dead were walking around.

" Nice, make sure you don't hurt yourself," I said, standing up while ruffling her hair.

" Hey, you." I heard and turn around to see Glenn Rhee. I walk up to him and hug the life out of him. In two days, he will soon have to go with Merle, Morales, Andrea, T-dog, and Jacqui for supplies in Atlanta's center. " Hey, I'm not leaving, yet it's ok."

" Glenn, I don't want you to get hurt or die. Please, please, please get back here safe." I said, seeing he nodded.

" Promise. You should come with us."

" You know I can't," I said a bit sadly. 

Mom and Uncle Shane would allow me to go, but I wasn't in the right mindset to do it. The last time I went on a run, I saw a walker that looked like my dad and freaked, which almost caused many people to die, including myself. I decided to just not go on runs as a way to not risk anyone's life saving mine.

" Hey, sweetie, do you mind doing laundry for me?" She asked not giving my the chance to answer when she placed the laundry basket in my hands.

" Oh!" I groaned from the weight before fixing it in my arms." You got it. Gotta go."