Chapter Fifty Four: Try

┏━━━━━━ Kayla's pov ━━━━━━┓

" I saw the grenades."

Glenn was explaining to Dad and Mom about what happened at the warehouse with me by his side. Since they were considered cops, they figured that they should be told what happened and later tell Deanna's information. I sat next to Glenn, thinking about it all over again. The explosion, the walkers, Nat, Tara, Aiden, Noah. It all ran passed my head like a horror film.

" We tried to stop him." I explained." He was gonna run. Leave us all alone. Even Tara in her condition, but we made him stay. Couldn't get Aiden out of there without help."

I couldn't hide the tears in my eyes and sniffed, wiping it away. Glenn turned to me before looking back at my parents.

" Then, when we got into the lobby, all he had to do was hold the door, but he panicked."

" We had Noah." I snapped." Glenn had his hand, and I had his arm. We tried, and we watched him die. We watched the walkers tear into his eyes and rip his jaw clean off. I almost left him out there. I wouldn't even have made a story. Just told them straight forward what a dick he is."

" They don't know what they're doing. Any of them. We'll show them."

" Rick." Mom warned, worried.

She glanced over to me, and slowly her eyes lowered to my stomach, where my baby was growing. I bet it was hard for her to comprehend. I was three months pregnant with Daryl's baby. It happened perhaps when the prison fell, and I kept it a secret since Grady Memorial. Daryl was upset at first but now vows to protect both of us. The only people to know was Daryl, Carl, Glenn, and now her.

Mom begged me to tell Dad, but I refused until the air was more clear. I could tell Deanna now had problems with the group, and I didn't want to add a pregnant daughter into his head. Mom hated it. She hated knowing I was going to have their grandchild, and Dad did not know yet, but it wasn't like I was going to keep it from him forever. Just until the air was clear.

" I don't know if they can see it. How things really are. I don't know if they can yet. They haven't caught up."

" We have to be here," Glenn vowed. He took a glimpse at me before licking his lips and looking back to my father." We have to."

Mom whispered under her breath." Yeah, we do."

" But their rules, we don't answer to them."

" We are them, Dad." I said." We are now. Noah, he believed in this place. I'm telling you, we gotta make this work."

With that said, I got up, heading to Denise's house knowing she would be there and, more importantly, Luke. Deanna had assigned the little boy with no other guardian to be with Denise needing some guidance and perhaps understanding after losing his Aunt. I walked up the stairs slowly and knocked on the door, nervous about the new responsibilities I would be taking on. The door opened, and Denise smiled, moving out of the way.

" Everything okay, Kayla ?" She asked, closing the door once I was inside." Need some vitamins or check-up ?"

" No, I'm here for Luke." I answered, feeling the nerves heightened at Denise, not believing me." Listen, I know you might not believe me, but before Natalia died...she asked me to watch Luke for her. I don't know why. Maybe it was because she saw me handle Judith or be a teacher to Luke, but-"

" I believe you." Denise laughed, fixing her glasses up on her face." Maybe you're what he needs to sleep tonight. Ever since the news broke out, he's been crying, holding his security blanket, and just hiding under my bed. I tried to get him out or to sleep, but he's afraid."