•THIRTEEN•

Safe.

Vera had a very boxed definition of safe. Church was safe. Home was safe. And what wrapped that box up in a tight bow, were god and her father. Both of which were together in heaven watching over her.

With her father gone, the ribbon began to unravel and the lid was lifted. Home was no longer what it used to be. She wasn't in Tabor and she was alone. She didn't have her familiar church and friends to escape to on Sundays.

Now safety had to be defined differently. Was it defined by the pepper spray she had tucked away, uselessly in her bag? By her studies? Knowing she was smart and capable? Or was it Axel. Was Axel now her box and her bow? Could he be the single thing to hold everything together in a neat package?

Did she want a neat package?

Was safe just as dangerous as nice?

She didn't know.

She didn't know if she wanted to know.

She knew she was happy when she was with Axel.

Well.. was happy the right word?

Her chest was tight with anticipation and excitement, yet she feared what he could do to her. He was powerful and dominant. He wanted to punish her the moment he got the opportunity. But he also said he cared for her in a way he had never cared for anyone before.

She didn't know what love was. She had always imagined it and read about it in books, but those were so different from reality. So different from her reality.

No. She wasn't in love with Axel. But she knew she wanted to be near him and as long as she felt comfortable, or at least safe with him, then why would she give that up?

"Come along, pet." Axel held the car door open for her, breaking her from her reverie.

"Oh, right." She stumbled, grabbing her bag from where it lay beside her feet, "Sorry."

He placed a hand on the small of her back and guided her inside the coffee shop, Jarrett a few paces ahead of them, "Did I tell you how beautiful you look today?" He spoke gently, once they had stopped to stand in line. He traced her jaw with the tips of his fingers making her bite her lip and shiver in delight.

She looked up at him, her eyes flittering back and forth between his and Jarrett's back, feeling slightly embarrassed by the display of affection. Still, she blushed a bright pink and her heart began a loud pitter-patter inside her chest, "I don't think so." She replied with a small smile, "Thank you."

"Of course, Pet." He kissed the top of her head, before facing forward, "What would you like?"

"Oh, no." She tried to argue, but he hushed her with a flick of his wrist. With a sigh she scanned over the menu quickly, settling on a very popular drink, "A carmelicious please." She whispered to the ground.

Axel wanted to lift her head and force her to speak up, but out of the corner of his eye, he saw Jarrett watching them. His jaw clenched in irritation, but not wanting to take away any potential friends from her, he tried to remain fairly normal. Still, he would make sure both of them knew exactly who she belonged to.

"Do you want whipped cream?" He asked, the hand that was guiding her, now running through her long hair that fell down her back.

She looked up and him, her blue eyes wide with wonder and excitement. She nodded, almost violently, her small smile turning into a wide grin.

Axel couldn't help but match her childlike enthusiasm, his lips turning upwards on their own, "Say please." He teased, tucking the hair he had been playing with behind her ear.