Chapter 17

Jughead pulled down the driveway of the lake house, giving Betty's hand a reassuring squeeze. "Remember, just ignore her." She nodded, sighing and smoothing her hands over her skirt. "And just because I know she'll probably comment on your outfit first, you look stunning."

"I'm in a cheap t-shirt and a skirt from Forever 21. I'm as bland as I could be." He pursed his lips, narrowing his eyes.

"Stunning." She giggled as he kissed her, smiling wide when he pulled back. He walked around the truck and helped her out before he walked to the back of the truck, opening the tailgate to let the dogs out.

"You made it!" Jughead and Betty both turned to look at Archie, Jughead giving a nod while Betty watched the ground carefully. "And Betty of course. Let me go get Veronica."

Jughead touched the small of Betty's back and she looked at him nervously. "Smile and ignore."

"Smile and..." she took in a deep breath, smiling at him. "Ignore." He chuckled, threading his fingers through hers as they walked into the house.

"Okay," Archie smiled proudly beside Veronica. "Betty, Veronica. Veronica, Betty."

"Hi." Betty held her hand out but Veronica just glanced at it, crossing her arms over her chest. Betty pinned it back to her side, an embarrassed blush high on her cheeks. She glanced over to Jughead who just gave her a small sorry smile.

Archie nudged Veronica and gave her a look. She rolled her eyes, sighing. "Jughead will show you to your room, dinner will be done in twenty minutes." Veronica walked away when she was done and Jughead rubbed the back of his neck nervously.

"She's not normally like this." Archie chuckled, walking away in the direction Veronica had gone in.

Betty let out a sigh, turning to Jughead with sad eyes. "It's me, isn't it?"

"No, Betty, it's not you, she's the same way with me." She nodded, following Jughead up the stairs. He pushed open the door and she gasped.

"Oh, wow. Do all the rooms look like this?" He nodded, closing the bedroom door. "This is gorgeous. This place must cost a fortune."

"It's Veronica's dad's money so yes, it does cost a fortune—a fortune no normal person has. Her dad bought it for them as their wedding gift." He set their bag down on the bed, wrapping his arms around her waist. "So thank God Archie married the person whose father has something like this because me and you get a week of it."

She shook her head, turning to look at him over her shoulder. "That's not very nice, using someone for their money or for what they own."

"I'm not. They offered, I accepted." She rolled her eyes playfully and he narrowed his eyes. "Don't roll your eyes at me," she giggled, Jughead capturing her mouth in a slow and passionate kiss that had her leaning into him, sliding her hand into his hair to hold his mouth to hers. He pulled back with a huff, resting his forehead on hers. "We can't. Not right now at least. If we're not at dinner, we'll get scolded for life, or at least until our ears bleed."

She smiled at him and he kissed her quickly again, letting go of her. "So, is Veronica ever going to actually talk to us?"

"Maybe? It depends, really. She's like a locked door, you don't get much out of her. It's never bothered me because I'm the same way, but if she says something just tell me, I'll deal with it."

"Jug, just because I don't know her doesn't mean I can't deal with her if she starts getting moody. It's not like I'm scared of her." He nodded, sighing. "But if at any point I feel like I can't deal with it, I'll tell you."