Chapter 5

Jughead rubbed Scout's head as he waited for Betty, flipping his truck keys in his pocket. "Sorry!" Her little yell from upstairs drew his eyes to the stairs, Betty walking down them quickly. "I'm ready." His eyes ran over her, a small smirk showing up on his face. "What?" She looked down at her dress, trying to see what he was smiling at.

"Nothing." She narrowed her eyes at him and huffed. "Just, do you wear anything other than dresses?" She scoffed, shoving his shoulder. He laughed, following her out the door. She crossed her arms as he locked it, holding her nose in the air sassily when he turned to look at her. "You gonna tell me?"

"I do, I just didn't plan for this to happen." He raised an eyebrow at her, trying his hardest to keep his cool. If he dipped his head less than three inches, they would be kissing and it made his heart pound.

"So, if you planned this," He lowered his voice, leaning forward just a little bit. "You would be wearing something different?" He smirked as her lips parted partially before she bit her bottom lip like she always did.

She swallowed, standing a little straighter. "Maybe I would be." His nostrils flared and it was his turn to straighten his stance.

He gave her a barely noticeable nod, licking his lips as he walked away. She stood for a moment, frozen to her spot on the porch before she hurried to catch up to him. He held the door open for her to the truck, shutting it once she was fully seated.

She examined the truck, settling in. "Do you not like new things? Are you that person that's constantly like 'I was born in the wrong generation' and you have something against people who use modern technology?" He raised an eyebrow at her and she gasped. "That was mean, I'm sorry."

"It wasn't and no, I am not one of those people. I'm the person who knows if I don't need it, I'm not going to get it."

She nodded, watching him start the car. "Mm, so you're stingy?"

"No." He laughed and Betty giggled, smiling over at him. "I don't waste my money on dumb shit. Like my truck. It runs perfectly fine so why should I waste thousands of dollars on a brand new truck I don't need?"

She weighed the idea before leaning over to him, whispering, "Stingy."

"I am not stingy. I would gladly give up money, I just don't waste money on myself."

"Mm, okay." She nodded, sitting straighter in her seat before turning towards him. "Do you prefer the word frugal then?"

"You're a pain." She hummed, Jughead shaking his head as he sucked his teeth with a smirk.

The rest of the drive into the town was silent but it was comfortable. Betty was watching out the window carefully, Jughead glancing over at her every few minutes to make sure she was okay. When they had gotten to town he half expected her to jump out of the truck and run, ready to be away from him and out of his proximity. But she stayed, waiting until he parked the truck and he opened the door for her.

"Um, y-you're free to go. Just be back here by noon and we can go to the farmers market or back to... the house."

She looked around herself for a moment before she glanced back up to him. "Can I just stay with you?"

He kept the shock off his face, pocketing his keys before he shoved his hands in his pockets as well. "Yeah, sure. I-I don't mind." She nodded, placing herself at his side.

They walked around the town for most of the morning, getting groceries and supplies Jughead needed. Betty had also invested in a pair of leggings and boots for the specific reason of Jughead teaching her how to ride a horse. He promised that he would do so the next day.