35 • Testing Waters

Start from the beginning

Harsh and I guffawed at the last part as Neel pouted.

"Well, that was a productive meeting," Harsh started, as our laughter died down, "Since the exams are over I'm free most evenings so I don't mind when the next meeting's held."

"We're through the playoffs of this season of basketball and there's a small break for the next week before the quarter finals. I'll be busy for two weeks after that. So just mail me the work and I'll complete it." Neel said, running his fingers through his hair.

"I think we can complete the individual work ourselves and then we can meet to consolidate everything after the basketball season. I think that will work for everybody." I stated, marking a page in my mobile almanac.

"Cool," Neel nodded, "Do you need a ride, Akira?"

"No, that's all right. Thank you." I smiled, as he got up to leave, "See you tomorrow."

Neel mock saluted Harsh before sauntering out of the library, his backpack slung loosely on one shoulder.

"Neel is such a mood." Harsh remarked, shaking his head a little.

"I know right?" I laughed.

I stood up to sling my tote onto my shoulder and pushed the chair I had been sitting on, towards the large wooden library table.

"By the way, Akira?" Harsh asked, as we made our way out of the massive library and into the courtyard of the main college building, "Have you heard that Prof Iyer's going to take up a few students for extra credits?"

"What?" I knit my brow, "How on earth am I not aware of it?"

Harsh shrugged, "Well, you know now. So are you going to volunteer?"

"I'd love to. I mean he's very knowledgeable and a great mentor, so why not. Even though I don't really like data analytics all that, if it's for extra credits then why not?" I answered before continuing, "Have you tried talking to Vinay?"

"As a matter of fact, yes." Harsh replied with a small smile, "Can't say it was anything pivotal but we sit at the same table at meal times now so I guess we've made progress."

"That's amazing, Harsh!" I gushed zealously, "I'm so happy for you."

"Well..." he started, scratching the back of his neck shyly.

"No, do not question the motion of events," I cut him off midsentence, "Remember that you have many people who really love you and go with the flow. Sometimes you need to be the bigger person and stop fighting."

"Okay!" Harsh exclaimed, "I just wanted to thank you for hearing me out that day."

"Oh," I muttered, sucking my lips into my mouth, "No problem. Anyone would have."

"Can't be entirely sure of that, but thank you," Harsh grinned, "I should probably head home now. Bye."

"Bye." I nodded, raising my hand slightly in a wave.

As Harsh's footsteps became fainter on his way out, I made my way to the librarian's cabin to drop in and greet Ms. Banerjee before heading home.

Suddenly, the shrill ringtone of my phone cut through the static air, disturbing the quietude of the library.

Casting an apologetic look at a student glaring at me, I received the call.

"Hello?" I whispered.

"Where are you?" Vinay's voice bombarded my ears without warning, "Neel and Harsh already left."

I narrowed my eyes suspiciously, "What are you even doing here?"

"I need help." He stated simply, choosing to ignore my question.