Chapter Seventeen: The Epicentre | Part 2

Matthew hurriedly pushed the car door open as he got out of the driver's seat and stepped out of the vehicle. Daniel and Megan followed behind, promptly getting out of the car. The three stood before the skyscraper, with Matthew looking up.

"This is the building," Daniel confirmed as he squinted, eyeing the concrete plaque that the building's name was engraved on. In capital letters were the words' Waldorf Tower', followed by '1 Varick St' below in small caps and a smaller font.

Matthew went ahead of the group, moving towards the steps leading up to the slightly elevated ground floor. He began hopping up the stairs to ensure that he and the rest of the group didn't waste any more time. Pressured, the other two stopped admiring the architecture of the tower and followed behind him.

The trio entered the building, walking towards the elevators. The hard heels of their shoes tapped against the quartz floor, creating a noise that rebounded through the quiet building. They looked around the lobby, noticing the exquisite ornaments on some marble tables and elegant light fixtures hanging above. To live in such a building, one must have had to be nothing but wealthy.

Matthew pushed the elevator call button before taking a step back and waiting. The doors of the arrived elevator then opened, allowing the detectives to enter. The three stepped into the carriage, taking in the fragrance of a floral scent of some sort. Matthew personally disliked strong perfumes and cologne, although he was fine with lighter ones.

He began sniffling from time to time as the elevator brought them up, his nose irritated by the scent in the carriage. After about half a minute, the elevator finally came to a halt as it arrived on the seventy-second floor. The doors opened, so the three stepped out, turning their head to the right and looking through the hallway.

The trio moved down the hallway before quickly approaching what seemed to be Mr. Palmer's apartment unit. Matthew brought his gun up, tilting it upwards. He knocked on the door lightly at first, expecting a response.

"Mr. Palmer?" Matthew called out after realising that Mr. Palmer may not have heard him. However, there was still no noticeable reply after ten seconds.

Matthew began banging on the door this time, making sure that he would hear him this time. Then again, there was still no reply despite the loud banging. He then turned to look at his friends. From the look in his eyes, they could already tell what he was going to do. They stood back, anticipating the vigorous move he was going to make.

Matthew stepped back before kicking the door open. The latch bolt broke off, falling towards the group as the door swung open. Matthew aimed his gun forward as he entered the room. He moved around the room swiftly, looking out for Mr. Palmer.

If he even was in the room.

The apartment only consisted of two bedrooms and two bathrooms. With additional help from his friends, Matthew searched through the entire house but couldn't find anyone in it. He only noticed the television in the master bedroom, which was left on.

"He's not here," Matthew sighed as he squeezed his eyes while pressing against them with his hands. He subconsciously sat on the queen-sized bed. He was just tired of pursuing people who wouldn't even show up.

"Maybe he's not home," Daniel theorised, consoling Matthew has rested his hand on Matthew's shoulder.

Megan was the last to step into the room. She also noticed the television and saw what was being displayed on it. And it was the news channel. "It doesn't make sense that he would leave the house with the television and lights still on," she dissented. She then watched the news for a bit. "And something tells me that he had left in a hurry."