And the Winner is... (p.1)

Start from the beginning

"Kaiser," the Chief greeted formally, her voice not exactly cold, but it certainly wasn't welcoming.

"Chief," I replied, nodding in greeting as I removed my hand from Naga's head. "The Avatar's inside, with the rest of the Fire Ferrets, if that's what you were going to ask."

"Expected," The Chief sighed, running a hand over her face. "Come on. I've got an Avatar to back."

The Chief turned on her heel, gesturing for me to follow as she strode up the steps. I jogged to catch up, shoving open the left door as Lin shoved open the right. My first glance around the room revealed the majority of the council on their feet, my friends staring up at them as Tarrlok brought a gavel down.

The gavel never hit, the head being severed by a lashing metal cable. The councilmen and the pro-bending team before them turned to look as Lin and I store forward, the Chief of Police calling the cable back with a defiant flick of her wrist.

"I can't believe I'm saying this, but I agree with the Avatar," Chief Beifong growled evenly, shooting the Avatar an exasperated glance.

"You are?" Tarrlok asked, disbelieve in his voice as his gaze cut away from Kin and fell on me.

"Yeah, you do?" Korra questioned, crossing her arms sassily as she glared back at the Chief of Police.

"I expected this kind of cut-and-run response from Tenzin," The Chief started, jabbing a finger at the indifferent Airbender. "But the rest of you? Come on, show a little more backbone. It's time that the benders of this city displayed some strength and unity against these Equalists."

"We must prevent the conflict between benders and non benders from escalating into all-out war!" Tenzin countered, and I watched with suspicion as Tarrlok's eyes shifted. "The Council is not changing its position, Lin."

"Now just a moment, Tenzin. Let us hear what our esteemed Chief of Police has in mind," Tarrlok cut in suddenly, leaning forward to rest his hands against the bench before him. Tenzin grunted as he folded his arms over his chest, mumbling to himself as he glared icily at Tarrlok.

"If you keep the arena open, my metal benders and I will provide extra security during the championship match," Lin explained, a sense of pride in her voice. "There's no better force to deal with the chi blockers. Our armour is impervious to their attacks."

"I also offer my services to Chief Beifong," I stated as I took a few steps forward, until I was standing by Lin's side. "I can use my various skills to help protect the citizens and spectators within the arena. I will comply to any and all orders given by the Chief, as long as the arena stays open."

"Are you saying that you will both personally take responsibility for the safety of the spectators in the arena?" Tarrlok asked, and Tenzin shot him a glare of both anger and suspicion. I hesitated for a moment, before nodding confidently, sharing a look with Chief Beifong.

"I guarantee it," Lin assured firmly, a victorious smirk spreading over Tarrlok's face.

"It is hard to argue with Chief Beifong's track record, and Kenna is known from her impressive fighting skills," Tarrlok confirmed, almost sounding scornful and slightly sarcastic as he raised his hand. "If she is confident that her elite officers can protect the arena, than she has my support. I am changing my vote. Who else is with me?"

There was a tense moment of silence, before three of the remaining four Council members raised their hands in agreement, the majority winning over the minority. The arena was to stay open, the championship finals to take place.

"The arena stays open," Tarrlok concluded, the smirk still on his face. "Good luck in the finals."

"All right!" Bolin exclaimed as the Fire Ferrets jumped around and cheered, punching their fists into the air.