30) Endearment Initiatory

Past
Dering Woods, UK.

PastDering Woods, UK

Melissa's PoV:

"It's exactly one month. Last full moon day, you came here. Now, you're going to attend your first assembly tonight as one of us. How do you feel?" asked Austin raising his eyebrows to me.

"Are you interviewing me here? Well, um... It was worst initially. But I got used to it," I said as if I was truly being interviewed. He smiled as we stopped in front of a threshold.

"Shall we?" asked Austin. I nodded enthusiastically.

He took my hand and walked me into the chamber where the Homoculi were sheltered. There were just five active ones now belonging to five Master-souls -- Austin, Mr Blake, Mr Anand, Mr Jaden and the other one whom I hadn't met yet.

As we stepped in, the five Double-souls, Homoculi, made hissing noises. It was their language. But I hate it. Well, I should say, I couldn't understand them and it was irritating. As quick as I stepped in, I stepped out of the entrance pulling Austin along with me.

I had been in there just twice. Once, I passed out and made a sick-show. Thence, I had to endure a walk in there to prove I was a good fit here. So, I pulled on a stupid technique of not paying attention to their freaky physique or to their creepy voice. I was half-blind and half-deaf then. Besides, there were a whole lot of people watching me then. If at all something had happened, they would've rescued me. But now, we were sorely outnumbered. We were two and they were freaksome five.

Also, I couldn't follow that strategy now. Not when I had to hearken to lessons about them.

"Mel, you're stronger than you think you are," said Austin assuring.

"I guess theory classes are far better than practical," I let out a highly-strung smile. Austin smiled disapprovingly and stated, "Alright, I'll take you to the incubators' abode."

"Pfft... It too helps not," I made a puny assertion. Austin knitted his eyebrows. "Listen Austin, you're second to none. Faultless in everything. You're gallant. But I can't measure up to your levels," I said genuinely. I was feeling down to the hilt.

Austin gave a faint smile and clutched my shoulders proclaiming, "Mel, it took me eight years straight to talk to you. Again, I mean, not confessing how I feel about you but just talking. Do you still think I'm stronger?"

"That is different, Austin. Maybe I was that gruesome for you that you found it difficult to even talk to me," I said crossing my arms in front.

"Well, considering the moment I first talked to you, you're indeed gruesome," he said reckoning. I looked at him unbelievably. That was scarcely credible. How can he say that?

He sniggered a little and said, "I was just kidding, honey. You're so sweet." I couldn't help but colour my cheeks pink with his words.

"By the way Aus, I love this new endearment-initiatory of yours," I said poking into his arms.