12) Soul Ex-changer

Past
Ashford, UK.

PastAshford, UK

Melissa's PoV:

After my birthday celebration, Austin started sticking with Josh and me. Well, not in the school of course. All those uncanny feelings I had for Austin in the beginning, started fading away eventually. We always had our hole-and-corner meetings mostly in Austin's laboratory or in either Josh's or my home. In one of such rendezvous, Austin told us about the completion of his new project which he named as Soul Ex-changer.

"This was the project I told your mum about," said Austin to me. I was as excited to see his work as we entered Austin's lab. He pointed towards some widget that looked odd like battered helmets. Seeing the wired gadget, I was confused about its potential. When he told us about the Soul Ex-changer project, I thought he would've made a potion or something. He is an alchemist after all. But here, he got only two helmets. Can a helmet switch our souls?

"I thought you are an alchemist," I asked him pushing aside my suspicions. It was true that I hadn't asked him anything about his philosopher stone quest after the revelation of his Dering woods experience. I wasn't much interested in that Alchemy concept.

"No branch of science can stand alone Mel. You can't just say 'I am an alchemist and I don't go with other branches'. Alchemy is supposed to be the earlier form of chemistry. And chemistry can't survive without Physics or Maths. Science is wholesome. Even Science and Literature co-exist. Besides, this is just a trial. A long-lost friend of my dad had left the blueprint. So I thought I could just give it a shot. I myself was surprised when I managed to complete this project."

"Splendid. Have you tried this yet?"

"Nope," he said shaking his head in disapproval looking down. I could definitely say he wasn't pleased with his own answer. He turned abruptly seeing into my eyes and asked, "Want to try?"

"NOO," protested Josh on my behalf. But I thought it would be fun. "Yeah, Sign me in," I told him excited.

Austin's face lit up and he grinned broadly. For the first time, I saw him very happy. I wasn't fat with money. I couldn't afford much to make these two happy. They already had more than I could afford. Just such rare occasions would give me chances. I was uncertain when I told him that I was ready. But after seeing his giant grin I wanted it to prolong a bit long.

I was thrilled when Austin looked after the arrangements. There were two helmet sort of machines that were connected to the computer in the lab. They resembled a regular skateboard helmet but with a small difference of having been bound with numerous wires and cables. He must have transformed them.

Austin was working over the computer giving the machine its orders and instructions while Josh tried persuading me out of the adventure I have signed myself in for. Austin remained deaf to all Josh's words and concentrated only on what is to be done.