Chapter 43: Clean Slate

Start from the beginning

As much as I wanted to be with Liam and I was sure of it, I was also very cautious and paranoid. It was going to take time for me to trust him as much as I used to. If we were to get back together, he would really have to prove himself.

///////

The match ended positively. We won 4-1 which erupted in cheers and screams of happiness. I decided to avoid the meet & greet where we all congratulate our team, seeing as I knew Liam would come up, and it was way too awkward.

Instead, I went to my locker and gathered up my stuff. In the end, I was leaving at the same time as everyone else from the pitch. That morning I had walked to school. I thought it was a good way to calm my self down before having to face everyone. However, I hadn't thought of the fact I would have to walk home.

I sighed, readjusting my bag and setting off through the car park to the main road.

"Fuck." I cursed as I felt the droplet of water land on my forehead. It was raining. I wasn't prepared for rain, I didn't even have a jumper! It was 30 degrees when I left the house in the morning.

"Want a lift?" The voice made me jump, sending an all too familiar shiver down my spine.

"I'm alright." I said, dismissing the car driving slowly next to me.

"Lucy, I know we're not exactly friends, but your house is on my way and I'm not just going to drive off, leaving you walking in the pouring rain. Get in."

I sighed, nodding. "Thanks."

"No problem." Liam replied as I got in the passenger seat.

"Congratulations on the win." I didn't look at him but I saw him smile from the corner of my eye.

"Thank you." Silence. "How come you're walking?"

I shrugged. "It seemed like a good idea in the morning. I had a few things to think about."

He was about to speak but we had reached my driveway. We were the only car, so I guessed no one was home.

"Anyway," I cleared my throat, and getting out the car. "Thanks for the ride."

"My pleasure." Liam smiled.

I ran to my porch, to shade myself from the rain, and turned around one more time to wave him goodbye. Suddenly, without a second thought I found myself running back to his car and opening the passenger seat. "Er, do you wanna come inside for a bit?"

He stared at me blankly for a while, obviously surprised by the offer. "Are you sure?"

I nodded. "I'm freezing from the rain and craving a cup of hot cocoa. You're welcome to join me for one, you know, as a thank you for the ride."

He replied with a nod. "Alright, thanks."

We both left the car at once, and I had to bite back a smile as I unlocked the front door. "Feel free to take a seat wherever, I'll just quickly go up and get changed." I told him, leaving him in the living room as I ran upstairs, and changed into a pair of sweatpants and hoodie.

We sat in silence in the kitchen as I made the cocoa. Part of me felt awkward and desperate to break the silence, but the other part was just happy to be alone with him again.

"I heard what happened." My heart stopped beating for a split second. I was surprised by his comment.

"Have you heard the real story? Or the rumours?" I asked, sprinkling chocolate flakes and marshmallows on top of his cocoa and turning around to face him, sliding it over.

"I heard he was a dick head. That he cheated on you. With Sara. And that he basically just used you." He told me.

I nodded, not looking up from my cup. "The truth it is then."

"I can't believe he did that. I never would have thought he was capable of being that kind of person." Liam said, taking a sip of his cocoa.

I shrugged. "It's just my luck isn't it?"

Liam sighed. "Lucy, I can't apologise enough--"

"Liam stop." I interrupted. "It's fine. I'm saying that seriously. You hurt me, but if I keep holding on to that, I'll never be happy. I've let it go."

"You have?" He asked, his eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

I nodded. "I want to start a clean slate, if you're up for that."

A grin appeared on his face, and I swear I died inside. The sight infront of me was just so perfect. "How could I give up such an offer?"

I smirked. "You couldn't."

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

http://www.polyvore.com/heard_what_happened/set?id=126719507&lid=3706920