Chapter 41: Proof

•Part 41•

"Is that my dress?" My mum asked as I entered the kitchen.

I looked down at the bright blue, leather trimmed stretch silk dress. "Yup."

"Why?"

I shrugged. "Because it's nice."

"I know." My mum told me. "I bought it."

"You always wear these shoes and I don't complain!" I pointed out, sticking up my left foot with my brown leather strapped wedges.

My mum rolled her eyes. "Fine. I'll let you off because you look pretty."

I flicked my hair dramatically. "Thanks."

As I dug into my breakfast I could feel my mums eyes burning into my scalp. I looked up at her with a full mouth. "Are you okay?"

"I could ask you the same thing." She told me.

I took another bite. "What do you mean?"

"Last night you run away--"

"I'm pretty sure I walked away." I corrected her.

My mum rolled her eyes. "Either way, you left without even coming to say goodbye. When we came back you were asleep. Are you okay?"

I shrugged. "I'm fine."

"I would beg to differ--"

"Mum," I swallowed the bite. "I'm great. I was just tired and didn't want to interrupt you guys, so I took a cab home."

My mum sighed. "Well if you say so. But if anythings wrong you know you can always talk to me right?"

"Of course." I smiled, through the pain.

///////////

There was only one person I wanted to see in school that day, and it was Sean. I didn't really know what I would have said to him, but I knew I wanted to see him and talk to him. I had to. However, as I left my third lesson and realised he had been absent since the morning, I knew he wasn't in.

As I walked out into the corridor, I found myself searching for Nicole. As soon as I entered the canteen I spotted her sitting with her minions at her usual table. She locked her eyes with mine and left her minions without a word, as she made my way towards me.

I led her outside to the parking lot because I wasn't completely sure what I was going to see and how I was going to react to it, but I was pretty sure that if I was going to break down, I didn't want the whole school to watch me.

"Do you have them?" I asked impatiently.

She nodded sighing. I watched her cautiously as she took her phone out of her bag and held it out towards me. She wasn't lying. It was Sean. His arms were around another girls hips and her hands were in his hair as they ate each others faces off. I found my eyes focus on his clothing. It was the outfit he wore at Dylan's party. He was cheating on me at the same party I was at. And as I let my mind proceed all the information, that's when my heart dropped and smashed to millions of tiny pieces. I couldn't hold back the tears anymore and I felt my knees go weak just before I collapsed onto them on the floor. "No, no, no." I shook my head, as I covered it with my arms.

Nicole was next to me in no time. "Lucy, stop! Stop crying." She said sternly, grabbing my shoulders and made me look up at her. "Stop! You deserve better! Sean is a scum bag. He doesn't deserve you!"

I cried even harder. "How could he? How could he do that to me?"

I couldn't believe it. Sean. My Sean, the lovely, caring, genuine guy that I could see a future with was capable of making out with another girl when I was in the same room as him!

"He's an idiot Lucy. He's not worth your tears." Nicole told me comforting me. "Here." I felt her arms come around me as she took me into a hug and rubbed my back. I was surprised by her actions and how genuine everything she was saying sounded.

Nevertheless, I found myself crying into her shoulder. "What am I going to do?"

"Confront him. And confront the girl." Nicole told me. The girl. I didn't even look at her on the photo.

"Nicole, can I see the photos again?" I asked, as she helped me get up from the floor.

"Are you sure--"

"I need to see who the girl is." I told her, wiping my eyes.

She nodded, giving me the phone. My jaw dropped as I took in the image of the girl.

"Do you know her?" She asked.

"Sara."

"Sara?"

I nodded, swallowing the saliva that was gathering in my dried mouth. "She's his girlfriend, was his girlfriend. They broke up, he told me they were over."

I didn't understand. What was going on. Had they actually broken up? Was I the one he was cheating on her with? Maybe they just got back together recently? I didn't know what to think. I didn't know what to do. Nothing made sense.

Before I knew it my legs were carrying me to my car and I was driving off, out of the school. I had no idea where I was going, but I had to get away.

/////

Half an hour later I found myself on the beach, at a spot that was all too familiar but recently quite distant. It was the spot under the tree, with the view into the ocean. It was the spot that Liam took me to for our first date.

I could feel tears burn my eyes as I stated out into the ocean. What was wrong with me? First Liam, now Sean? What was I doing wrong?

I wanted to spit it all out, to cry into someone's shoulder and spill out everything that was bothering me. But there was only one person I wish I could do that with. And that was Liam. My tears blocked my eyesight completely, making everything a blur. And soon, my eyes closed completely, bringing darkness upon me.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

http://www.polyvore.com/just_my_luck/set?id=126716167&lid=3706920