Chapter 17: Happy Birthday

Start from the beginning

"You look lovely. Seriously Luce, it was just a little smudge." Liam chuckled, walking around the table and sitting opposite me. "This is nothing big, I didn't know what to get you, but Happy Birthday." He looked me dead in the eye, sliding over a little box towards me.

I looked up at him surprised that he had even remembered, never mind gotten me something. "Liam, you didn't have--"

"Just open it." He laughed nervously.

I did as I was told and gasped at the site. It was a gold necklace, shaped as a heart. The chain was thin and fragile, I loved jewellery like that.

"Do you like it?" Liam asked.

"I--Liam I don't know what to say." I shook my head getting the necklace out. I hadn't realised that it had a word engraved to one of the heart's sides. 'Lucy' was sprawled in a fancy font across the heart. My real heart suddenly jumped. I was in love - with the necklace of course. "Liam this is beautiful." I gasped looking up at him. He was smiling, a lot. I've seen him smiled and smirk and grin and laugh before but none of those times made up for the way he was smiling at that moment. I couldn't figure it out. The smile was stunning, almost beautiful. Actually, it was. I didn't understand why but maybe because it lit up his whole face, like was genuinely really happy that I loved his present. That in itself meant so much.

"You don't know how happy I am to hear that." He told me.

"Could you help me put it on please?" I asked handing him the necklace.

"Of course." He stood up as did I, before turning my back to him so he could clip the necklace. "Done."

As I turned back around I found myself throwing my arms around him in a hugging manor. "Thank you so much."

Liam's arms wrapped around my waist squeezing slightly. "My pleasure."

////////

Not only was it my birthday, but it was match day. Once I reached the bleachers I took my seat in our usual space, waiting for my best friends.

"Happy birthday slut!" The all the familiar hated voice reached my ears.

"I'd thank you if it wasn't so fvcking rude." I told her.

"I don't need you to thank me." She smirked.

At that point my best friends arrived. Poppy groaned at the sight of Nicole. "Oh for fvck sake, do you have to be everywhere?"

"Robinson, no one asked for your opinion." Nicole snapped.

"Are you too prestige to use people's first names?" Poppy asked.

"I'm too prestige for you, that's for sure." And with a flick of the hair, Nicole was gone.

"God I hate her." Melissa groaned.

"That makes two of us." I agreed.

"Three." Poppy added. "Aren't you meant to be down there with the cheerleaders?"

I shook my head. "They told me to give myself a day off."

"Really?" Melissa asked, slightly confused.

I nodded. "Yeah, it's weird."

At that moment the boys ran out onto the pitch and the cheerleaders started cheering. But something was different, the boys were lining up facing the bleachers and the cheerleaders weren't facing the pitch, but also the bleachers.

And before I knew it the singing began. "HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO LUCY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!" My mouth had dropped. I was shocked. Was this really happening? The whole team was singing to me and the whole school had joint in?! I laughed nervously at all the stares.

"THANK YOU SO MUCH!" I shouted back.

I saw Sean and Liam smiling at me and could feel myself blushing.

"What just happened?!" Poppy asked, obviously also surprised.

I shook my head. "I haven't got a clue."

"After all, you're 18!" Melissa cheered. And after that the whistle went off indicating the start of the game.

That night I went to sleep smiling. It was by far the best birthday I had ever had. Even if tomorrow's party didn't work out, I didn't care because I started my year as an 18 year old in the best way I could.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

http://www.polyvore.com/happy_birthday/set?id=126397574&lid=3706920