Day 495

400 Days After Fina by JellOfAllTrades
Chapter 32

The architect shook Jaime's hand, said goodbye, and got into his car, leaving me and my best friend in the middle of the Antipolo highlands and under the scorching sun.

"I can't wait for the construction to begin!" Jaime exclaimed, looking out into the Metro Manila skyline that Angel and I had enjoyed a few nights ago.

I kicked a rock on the ground and recognized the flattened patch of grass that Angel and I had our picnic on. I wondered what she could be doing at the moment because I'm still guilty of leaving her upset yesterday. She smiled when she made breakfast for us and didn't ask questions about why I cried. Despite being patient with me and even kissing me goodbye, the sadness in her eyes was unmistakable.

I let out a sigh. The past couple of weeks were exhausting and although everything seems to be calming down, I feel like I'm in the eye of a hurricane. The storm is yet to pass.

"Hey, I need to tell you something pala."

I turned to my best friend and saw that his carefree smile has been replaced with a serious frown. "What is it?"

"Do you remember Emma?"

"Was that the girl with the sex swing? I'm sorry, I've lost track of some of your girls," I replied. "Remind me?"

"You met her at the bar during my birthday party."

"Oh, the birthday sex?"

"Yeah, the birthday sex." He scratched the back of his head and looked up into the bright blue sky. "We shouldn't have done that."

"What do you-- oh,"

Jaime crossed his arms, the fabric of his shirt stretching over his large biceps. He looked more rugged than usual, his hair wasn't as well done and he forgot to shave this morning. I initially thought his somewhat rough appearance was an attempt to change his look because he didn't seem to be stressed out but now I know. He has always been a good actor.

"Are you sure it's yours?"

"I've been seeing her regularly since my birthday and ako lang daw partner niya for the past half-year. She's now two months into the pregnancy. It's obviously mine, but just in case, I'll have a paternity test done."

We made our way to the treeline and hid under the shade as the sun is now starting to burn our skins.

"What's your plan?"

"She didn't want to abort so I guess I'm going to be a dad now," he grinned like it was funny but we both know he's not happy about the prospect of being a father. Hell, if I were in his shoes, I'd be even more upset. But it seems like he has thought about the issue for a while now and has accepted his fate.

"Ayan napapala ng hindi gumagamit ng condom."

"She said she was on the pill. Malay ko bang makakabuo?"

A few years ago, when we started to sleep around, Jaime and I talked about his possibility of impregnating someone. I had the privilege of never having to worry about accidents like that but Jaime, on the other hand, always had to be careful. His parents would be pleased that he's eager to continue the family line but the idea of him being a young father from a one night stand wouldn't do much for their family name. So Jaime had this extreme plan that includes showing birthing videos and talking to miserable couples with unwanted babies to convince the girl to abort. And if ever the girl chooses to carry the baby to term, Jaime will only pay the needed child support because he wants to settle down on his own terms. Our discussion about how no child should grow up without a dad looked insignificant when followed up by a discussion on children having a dysfunctional childhood, miserable parents, and the lengthy and often expensive process of annulment.