Day 479

400 Days After Fina by JellOfAllTrades
Chapter 24

I tossed my bag at the dining table and promptly crashed on the couch. It was a long day in the office and I was mostly distracted by the thought of seeing Angel. After what happened in her bedroom, I panicked and left without a word. She's been trying to reach me ever since but I kept ignoring her calls.

Earlier today, she got a bit desperate and called Kate in the hopes of getting to me but I just brushed her aside. Now my secretary thinks something happened in Calauag and she's mad curious, just unable to ask because she sensed I'm close to losing my patience.

My cellphone suddenly rang, making my heart jump. At this point, I just want some silence to process my own thoughts. While I understand that kissing Angel meant I liked her, where do I go from here? What do I do?

Tears started to fall and I stayed there on the couch until my phone stopped ringing.

Why do I even like her? She's nothing like Fina and the only similarities they have are their appearance. Yet, when I piece together a picture of them in my mind, they don't really look alike. So, what's wrong with me? Why am I seeing Fina in Angel?

I raised my right hand to look at the golden ring I have on my pinky finger. Abuelito received this ring from his parents when he was around ten years old. On their first wedding anniversary, he gave the ring to Mamita. When I turned thirteen years old, Mamita gave me the ring as a symbol that I will be the heir to the Folloso empire. I gave this ring to Fina for her last birthday and she returned it to me to hold onto until she can leave the hospital. She made me promise that when she dies, I'll take the ring and pass it on to whoever I'll love next. She never got out of that hospital alive.

A year after her death, I received her diary detailing the years she spent waiting for my return to Calauag, and Angel, her best friend, was instructed to receive the ring in exchange for the diary. When I explained to Angel I'm not giving her the ring, she goes on to announce she'll make me fall in love with her. Months after that declaration, here I am crying because of Fina's attempt of hooking me up with her best friend. Why did she do that?

Did Fina know how much she's going to hurt me? Did she know how much I'm going to change? Did she know how confused I will be after her passing? What did she know that I didn't?

I remembered Angel's feathery soft lips and the way she kissed me like she's was telling me how much she loves me. The way her lips met mine was like she's been waiting for me her whole life.

Wait.

I wiped away the tears that were drying on my cheeks and sat upright. Was it possible that Angel had been in love with me before I officially met her? After all, she and Fina spent a good chunk of their time talking about me, Manila, and their plans for the future. Was it possible that Angel fell in love with the idea of me because of how much Fina thought of me?

Ridiculous. No one can fall in love with a person they haven't met before. But how can I explain Angel's kiss?

The doorbell rang, startling me. I frowned, not expecting anyone tonight. I got up from the couch and opened the door.

"Hello," Jaime flashed his pearly whites at me. Beside him is Angel, looking worriedly at me.

My heart jumped at the sight of her dark brown eyes but I'm not ready to face her. Not yet.

"Umuwi na kayo, I'm not in the mood to see anyone." I tried to slam the door at them but Jaime managed to lodge his foot at the door. He pushed the door open a little too enthusiastically and I collapsed on the floor because of the unexpected force.