Chapter Thirty-one. Wyland.

Chapter Thirty-one 

Wyland 

Leitus and Janik, inexperienced oarsmen, fell further and further behind Erika's abductors. On the fourth day of their pursuit, they lost complete contact, and found themselves paddling aimlessly through an archipelago of small, rocky, pine covered islands, that dotted the western end of the lake. 

"This is hopeless, Janik. We can't even find the site where they last camped, and every one of our attempts to reach the lake shore has failed. It's like being in a maze." 

"Maybe they didn't continue westward, Sir. Maybe they've changed direction. We've no way of knowing." 

"We can't give up. I'm responsible for her." 

"Why do you think she was kidnapped, Sir?"  

Leitus raised his arms and shrugged, indicating he thought the answer was obvious.  

"It might not be as bad as you think, Sir. Her captors were reasonably tall, and fair skinned, definitely not Myr and possibly of Darsian extraction. Maybe they were surprised to meet another Darsian and have just taken her for interrogation." 

"You're so naïve, Janik. Four men all alone in the company of a woman as beautiful as Erika, I shudder to think what might have happened to her already. There's no way we can give up. We must track them down no matter how long it takes." 

***** 

"Wake up! Wake up! We can't wait all day for you."

The words roused Leitus from his fitful sleep on the flat rock adjacent to the long dormant campfire. Towering above him stood a man in flowing robes, sporting a full grey beard and a waist-length mane of hair. The sun shone, directly behind this strange figure. For a moment, Leitus thought his time had come. 

"Are you Leitus Born?" 

Leitus nodded, as he struggled to a sitting position, wondering how the stranger could possibly know his name. It suddenly dawned on him. He regained his poise. 

"Before I answer any of your questions, you answer one for me. Are you part of the group that kidnapped Erika, my assistant?" 

"Kidnapped is a rather strong word. We have taken good care of her, and I would think by now she will be luxuriating in the comforts of the Women's Grotto. You'll get to see her tonight. She's fine. But back to my questions. Are you related to a Walter Born?" 

Leitus, relieved to hear that Erika was alive and well, willingly responded.  

"Not presently, but there was a Walter in the family who emigrated to Pergamon well over two hundred years ago." 

"Where did he settle?" 

"In the town of Timus. I think they call it Charon now." 

The elderly man scowled. "It'll always be Timus to us," he growled. "What did this Walter do for a living?" 

"Well he started out as a miner, but had to retire because of illness. And I believe he then tried his hand as a barber." 

The interrogator positively beamed. "And his wife's name?" 

"Hilda." 

Arms were outstretched. The stranger pulled Leitus to his feet, and enveloped him in a monstrous hug. "Welcome Leitus. Welcome to Wyland. My name is Travis Galgov." 

***** 

Galgov escorted Leitus and Janik on to his recently built yacht, which he then expertly steered through the islands, following markers invisible to the uninformed. In just over an hour, the vessel entered a small harbour.