Chapter twenty-nine. Engelsbay.

Chapter Twenty-nine 

Engelsbay 

The mist was still rising from the placid waters of the lake when Erika emerged from her cabin and strolled over to the main house. Leitus, already in his customary position at the window overlooking the shore, spotted her immediately, and gave a friendly wave beckoning her inside. He greeted her at the door with a welcoming smile and a mug of steaming toca. Behind the half-opened door, hidden from Lars, Leitus leaned toward her and softly whispered, "I really meant what I said Ka." Before she could reply, he placed the fingers of his right hand across her lips, shook his head, and murmured, "It's our secret." 

"Come on in, Erika. I think your favourite patient would like some tender loving care," shouted Lars. He was reclining on a couch by the fireplace, dressed in standard underwear, exposing legs covered with dried up pustules. 

"The fever seems to have broken," said Erika, laying her cool palm on the furrowed brow. "The sores seem to be drying up. Do they still itch, Lars?" 

"Just a little bit." 

"Would you like another treatment?" 

"That would be nice." 

"Sir, could you hand me the medicine kit. It's over there on the table." 

Whilst Erika treated Lars, they made plans for the rest of the day. They decided that as soon as Janik shook off the effects of his drug-induced slumber, the three of them would travel into Engelsbay and investigate the immense stone structure they had spotted the night before. Lars would remain in the cabin to complete his recovery. 

It was almost noon before the party was ready to leave. A bedraggled looking Janik took the controls of the jeep. Lars waved goodbye, and promised that by the time they returned, he would have the shower in working order. He was obviously feeling much better.

***** 

"We're here sir," said Janik, as he stopped the jeep at the base of a broad flight of steps leading up to the building. Glancing up at the façade Leitus spotted firing slits in the stout stonewalls.  

"Whatever it is, they felt it worth defending," he said. 

The trio approached with trepidation, fully expecting to encounter row upon row of skeletal remains. The massive metal door at the entrance was slightly ajar, but immovable. Simply by sidling through the narrow gap, they gained entrance to what was once a reception hall. Sunlight, diffusing into the interior through numerous shattered windows revealed a large semi-circular space dominated by a central glass enclosed desk. Three corridors, one central, and two on the outer edges led into the interior of the abandoned building. There were no skeletons. 

"Look at the signs, Sir. They're in Darsian," said Janik. 

"We've never seen that before. Obviously, they didn't seem to enforce the language law here. I wonder why?" 

"It looks like this was a hospital." 

"How do you know that, Erika?" 

"Look at this plaque. It commemorates the opening of the "birthing centre" in D1510.  

"This is all very interesting. It seems that there was a thriving Darsian community here in Engelsbay twenty-four years after isolation. I wonder what happened to them." 

"I think it's pretty obvious, sir, from the wreckage outside. They've been wiped out." 

"Maybe not, Janik. Some may have survived. Surely, there should be records somewhere in here. Let's look."