Chapter Thirteen

Author's Note:

I'd like to apologize first for the late update! I've been really busy with uni recently. This week's update is a bit short, but I hope you enjoy it regardless.

Happy reading!

~astryl

- - - - - - - - - -

"Since the four of you have been here in Auradon for a few months now, we decided to give you kids a special treat.", Fairy Godmother began. The villain kids looked at her and at the flatscreen television in front of them curiously.

The old fairy fumbled with the computer connected to the TV, and moments later, an image came alive on the screen. The four collectively gasped as they saw their parents staring at them through the television. They immediately rushed forward and crowded around the appliance.

"Is this real?", Carlos asked in amazement.

Cruella De Vil tapped the screen of the computer in front of the villains with her finger to make sure that it was really her son talking to her. "Carlos, my sweet!", she cooed.

"Jay? Where's my son?", Jafar said as he moved forward, his face nearing the laptop camera and blocking the view of all the others.

"I'm right here, Dad.", Jay greeted his father.

"Oh, will you please stop hogging the camera? I need to see my little Evilette in training.", Evil Queen exclaimed as she pushed Jafar back to his seat.

"Mom, I missed you.", Evie said, her eyes tearing up.

Fairy Godmother sensed that the reunion between the villains and the children was a private moment. She stepped out of the classroom to give them the privacy and space they deserved.

"Enough with the waterworks, dear. Your eyes are gonna get all puffy.", the old queen was quick to admonish once she saw that the fairy was gone. "Now, how are things there? Have you found a prince yet?"

Evie didn't know how to reply to that question. How could she tell her mother that a prince had outright rejected her?

Fortunately, Cruella De Vil had more pressing matters to ask about. "Forget about princes. Who needs them when you can own a hundred fur coats?", she cackled. "Did you skin the dalmatians like I asked you to, Carlos?"

"Bah! Princes and dogs, you women obviously have the wrong priorities. You can get all those when you become rich.", Jafar butted in. "Am I right, Jay? Have you found that blasted genie?"

The three villains squabbled over which issue was more important, and their children looked on uncomfortably. They had hoped they could talk about their fun experiences in Auradon, but it seemed like the reunion was quickly heading elsewhere.

"Shut your traps!", a shrill voice shouted and the three were quick to back off like wounded kittens. Maleficent's cruel glare appeared on the screen, and Mal winced once she saw it. "Set your heads straight. Have you forgotten why we agreed to send them there in the first place?"

No one dared to argue with the mistress of evil. "Where's my darling pumpkin, Mal?"

"I'm here, Mom.", Mal spoke up, trying her best not to appear unnerved.

Maleficent took in her daughter's polished appearance with disdain. "Auradon seems to have quite an effect on you, but no matter, do you have the old hag's wand?"

"Not yet.", Mal replied nervously.

Her mother's eyes flashed a dangerous green. "Not yet?", she glowered. "You've been in there for how many months, and yet you can't even do one measly task? I should never have sent you to the Isle. I should've chosen someone else to go in your stead, and I could be ruling over Auradon in less than a week! You have no right to call yourself my daughter. You're nothing but a useless—"

The screen flashed black, and the image of their parents disappeared. Not realizing that she had frozen out of fear in her position, Mal snapped out of her daze. Her eyes flitted over to Carlos who was holding the television plug in his hands.

The young boy shrugged. "She was being mean."

- - - - - - - - - -

Evie woke up with a start, and pain shot through her body as she tried to move her stiff neck. Realization dawned on her that she had accidentally fallen asleep on her desk. Ever since her conversation with Doug, her passion for fashion designing burned brighter than ever, and she worked nonstop on making her projects.

The girl glanced at the clock on the wall which read 5:17 AM. Her eyes fell on Mal's bed and saw that her best friend was nowhere to be found.

She stood up to check the bathroom, but the purple-haired girl wasn't there. Evie left the room and padded through the hallways. She peered at the empty student lounge and was about to give up searching until she heard a sniffle coming from the kitchen. Her eyes narrowing, the bluenette hurried over to where she heard the sound.

Lo and behold, she found Mal behind the kitchen counter, crying and mixing a bowl filled with what smelled like cookie dough.

"M, are you seriously crying and making cookies at 5 in the morning?", Evie asked, bewildered.

Mal's tears began to fall faster, and Evie knew this was a serious matter. She grabbed the bowl from her best friend's arms and set it aside.

"Tell me what's going on.", Evie urged.

"I'm making the anti-love potion.", Mal managed to say in between sobs. Evie sighed. She knew this was bound to happen.

"Then what's the problem?", she asked gently.

"I don't want to let him go, E.", Mal whispered. "I don't want to steal Fairy Godmother's wand and break the Isle barrier. I don't want to take over the world with evil. It doesn't make me happy. I want to go to school and be with Ben because he makes me really happy. Us being friends makes me really happy. I want to choose good, E."

Evie placed her arms around Mal's body and hugged the girl tightly, attempting to calm her down. She sensed that the video call with their parents earlier must have gotten to her best friend. She was painfully aware of Mal's struggles as Maleficent's daughter, and she only wished for Mal to be able to live according to what her heart wanted.

"M, I know it's a hard decision, but you have to do what's right. Ben deserves to know the truth."

"What comes next?", Mal asked, her voice muffled against the bluenette's shoulder.

"We'll start over, and we'll choose good.", Evil Queen's daughter firmly said as she rocked Mal back and forth.

- - - - - - - - - -

The girls slept through the whole morning after Mal had calmed down and finished baking the cookies. They rested fitfully in their beds while unbeknownst to them, the school was in an uproar.

An anonymous post had appeared on Auradon Prep's online school board, along with the title "Maleficent's Daughter Out to Destroy Auradon!"