"Okay," she mumbled

She got up from the bed and took her underwear from the table next to her and put it back on. While Dr. Christofi writes something on her prescription pad. She then handed her the prescription

"Prenatal," she nodded, taking the paper from her.

"Thanks," she replied, as she watched the paper still in some kind of shock. Dr. Christofi seeing her expression gave her a warm smile.

"Think of it as a gift from God. Congratulations, Valentina."

Her words soothed her in some way.

"Thank you," she nodded and headed out the door.

Walking through the waiting room and seeing the array of women all at different stages in their pregnancy caused her to bite at her cuticle. A young lady in a pink frilly dress was trying her best to push herself off the chair she was sitting on. Her stomach was so huge that it almost looked comical. Her boyfriend or husband who was at the corner by the water dispenser was filling up his paper cup when he saw her struggling and came to her aid.

This made Valentina thought of her husband. How will Micheal take the news of her pregnancy? We weren't trying at the moment and he knew she was on birth control. He always mentioned he wanted children. He's going to be happy she was sure of it.

Four Days Later 

Michael and Nate had returned home after spending two weeks in Mexico conducting business. Michael sat at his desk looking at papers as Nate paced up and down his office. 

"You need to reconsider, Michael." He said finally. Michael paused from his work and looked at his second man with a slight glare.

"Are you a man of mediocrity?" He said his voice without emotion. He was fed up with this little back and forth. Is his second in command so much like his father that he was afraid to start a war?

"Your father called a truce, all those years ago. Doesn't that account for something? The brutality of what might happen is not worth the title of Capo dei Capi."

"And I should settle for this little territory, like my father when our rightful place is to be on top. My father is dead and was not buried as the boss of all bosses, but a simple Don. I wouldn't settle for the same fate." His jaw tightened at the thought that most of the heads of the five families didn't even bother to attend his father's funeral, a man once on top in the 80s. He hated them all and if killing the son of Tony Maconi was the way there was no stopping him. His son was a brat anyway, spending his time in his sleazy nightclubs, being a useless drunk. Fuck, he hated him.

"Think about Valentina," Nate said and he shot up from his chair so violently that it let out a loud creak.

"Don't concern yourself with my wife's safety, Nate. Don't even think, I am not aware of her safety."

"Are you not afraid she will suffer the same fate as your mother?" Nate asked The look he received from Michael made him regret his words.

Michael let out a little chuckle, trying to process the words of his second without flying in his usual rage. He had to calm himself, inhaling deeply. Valentina was home, he didn't want her coming into the office being concerned over the shouting between him and Nate if he were to let his anger get over him.

"My father couldn't protect my mother," he said finally.  " But I would go to the ends of the earth to protect what is mine. She will be protected once this starts and so will your wife and child." their attention shifted when they heard a little knock on the door.

Come in, Michael said, and in walked, his wife, the woman he and Nate were discussing mere seconds ago. 

"Am I to hear my husband had returned from Mexico from Sylva"? She asked as she placed her hands on her hips.