Chapter 28: Water

Several hours of discussion brought us no closer to uncovering the traitor. When we could not delay any longer, Trebalda sent several of her own guards with Mik's guards, Gort, and Sakap as they departed, both for their protection and for surveillance. The plan would proceed, bolstered by a handful of woefully inadequate precautions.

Like slipping on shoes before charging into fire.

I slept very little that night, and I pulled myself from my bed the next morning with a bitter lump in my throat and a pinching sensation in my stomach. The escape from Rakim, the journey to the Tribe of Trebalda, the negotiations with representatives from all over Najila — what good had any of it done? I would abandon Finny again still not knowing she was safe. I would not be able to safeguard Niako during battle. And if we lost, the entire nation would cower at Makash's feet.

I needed to practice sword fighting. Or scream. Or cry.

Or maybe vomit.

The weather seemed to agree. Engorged clouds hung heavy in the sky, obscuring the rising sun, and oppressive humidity clung to me. Even the bird calls trailed off in falling glissandi.

Feet shuffled and voices murmured as others around me prepared for our departure, but I headed straight toward Finny's lodgings. Halfway there, Finny charged me and leaped into my arms. She was not as light as I remembered but just as squirmy as ever, and I clutched her thigh and back tightly to hold her up.

"Whoa, what is this? What happened?"

Her chin dug into my collarbone as she turned her head toward mine. "Nothing, just... when I woke up, it was really quiet. And I kind of thought you already left."

"Oh, Finny." I tugged her in closer, crushing her to me. "I would never leave without saying goodbye."

She planted her palms on my chest and pushed back slightly to raise her eyebrows at me. "Goodbye?"

"For now. I'll be back soon, I promise. But Finny, you might not be able to trust everyone here. If you get any bad feelings —"

"I know, Toom. Chief Trebalda already told me."

I studied her. "Told you what?"

Face and voice somber, she said, "That I'm in charge of keeping everyone safe while she's gone."

I huffed a laugh. "That's fine, but your first priority is to keep yourself safe."

Finny rolled her eyes. "She told me that, too."

"Well, good. Because if anything happened to you, I would..." My voice broke as I remembered slipping to the ground during the Serving Ceremony, succumbing to a splitting agony so much worse than twenty-seven lashes.

I swallowed and shook my head. "Seven hells, I don't know what I would do."

Finny wrapped her arms around my neck, pressed her face into my shoulder, and whispered, "Watch your damn language."

"You're incorrigible," I said.

"I love you, too," said Finny.

* * *

A couple of hours later, I rode down the mountainside with Ruck, Mitzy, Trebalda, Niako, thirty or so guards, and a few wranglers who would lead the horses back to the tribe after we boarded the ship. At the base of the mountain, we cut through the meadow of goats to the creek. The horse hooves clobbered the rocky riverside as we followed the narrow stream down toward the nearest dock.

A ghost of past panic tightened over my chest. I had first ridden this way fearing Niako was dying. Were we now riding toward his death?

Toward all of our deaths?