Part 2 Wolf's Den: Point break

My mother stands in the cavern with me, looking at me. I look at her and everything comes bursting out of me.

"I don't know if I can take anymore..." The bile in my throat rises. "Every moment of this place is hell! My own personal hell! It's almost like I'm fighting with the inevitable!" I cry out. Tears pour down my cheeks as shaky sobs fill every other phrase spoken.

"Yes, you can! And you will!" She floats over to me. "My child, I spent every day of my life raising you and preparing you for the hell this world offers. You are strong and more than capable enough, Natalia. You've always been. But you allow yourself to be swayed and manipulated by your emotions." This time I don't argue with her, I listen. "Your emotions are fatal; they are nothing but weaknesses that torment you! So, you hear me now, child? Don't you?"

"Yes, mother. I do."

"I can't stay by your side forever, so please take my advice, Natalia."

"It will stop, right? All the pain and torment?" She looks at me and smiles.

"Yes, my dear."

"Is there a way where I can have my soul returned?" She scuffs.

"Perhaps... Natalia... perhaps." She laughs again. I should've listened to her from the beginning. But I was so stubborn... for what! What reason could I have to hold on to it any longer!

"So, what do I need to do." A wide smile appears on her face.

"Simple, just think of every raw emotion." I close my eyes.

"Alright, and?"

"And imagine every one of them fading away." I concentrate on each memory that's brought me pain, rage, joy, sadness, and fear. My mind and body fall limb.

I awake to the next morning. Odd, I don't feel any different, but all my pain has stopped. I poke at the blotches and nothing. Usually I would be wincing and wheezing? It appears, they brought my food when I was sleeping. I eat the soup and gulp down the water, nothing? Usually I would have some relishing feeling but there's nothing? The water and soup taste bland to me? It doesn't hurt to move around any more either?

More mornings go by, I remain silent to every guard. I don't feel like saying anything or starting anything. The threats and growls do nothing but leave me annoyed. Strange, it's all so dull. I hear loud footsteps walk in, I turn my back to ignore the wolf. He shakes me by my shoulders and I spring up.

"Sorry..." He mumbles. I brush it off and face the wall. He stares at me in disbelief and in horror. I glare up at him.

"Why are you gaping at me?" I can't stand it.

"I'm sorry..." He softly says. "I can't believe they've done this to you..."

"Wolves are very temperamental; you should know that."

"Yeah..." He softly adds.

"Xavier? Is it?" He nods. "Just how do you plan on getting me out of here?" I'm genuinely curious, and bored.

"Don't worry, I'm working on it." He softly adds. He takes his leave.

Another morning goes by this time my soup has a piece of paper under it.

"The only way to get out of here unseen is timing. Just wait and the perfect timing will arrive to us. All I can tell you for now is to keep your strength and hold on for a bit longer."

I just don't understand? What's in it for him? Since I've gotten here, all I've heard is praise towards the Alpha. They all love him and worship him, so why would a wolf boy risk his life and against wolf custom to free me? Is there something I'm not seeing here?

And how long can I stall them? If I don't follow their demands, they'll give me another beating. My body won't be able to handle anymore. I need something to hold them off for a bit. I stand up and hover over the entrance; the guards snap their attention to me.

"I request the Alpha's presence." They look at me ridiculously.

"Get back in their mage, before I add another mark on you!" That didn't go well, I slump back pondering my next approach.

The next morning, I start a protest. Saying I won't eat until the Alpha comes to visit me. They ignore my protests.

Five mornings past. I starved myself. It doesn't hurt, I just feel exhausted and dazed. Finally, they cave in, the Alpha walks in looking rather annoyed.

"You requested my presence?"

"Yes." I say firmly, but not too loud or assertive either.

"Alright mage, what is it? Spit it out!"

"I don't know how to heal- "He groans. "But I do know of some herbs that can give me healing abilities." His scowl turns into a suspicious glance.

"Is that so?" I nod my head.

"If you crush these herbs into a broth, I will be able to have healing abilities." He ponders to himself. There's no way he won't fall for this one. It's foolproof! Why would I want to risk rare herbs being tested on me? And he knows that a mage never give up their magic willingly. He'll think that I have finally submitted to him.

"Alright mage, I'll consider this deal. Until then...eat! Before I have to force feed you." I bite my tongue. In order to survive here, I have to obey them... and abide by their roles. I hope you know what you're doing, Xavier. The next morning, Xavier comes in with the same bland soup and a cup of water.

"Xavier." I say softly as he places down the soup and water. "I need you to be my eyes and ears out there."

"For who?"

"The Alpha." He nearly drops the bowl. "That's risky."

"So is helping me escape, I need to know what he's thinking."

"I'm hardly on the best terms with the Alpha."

"Well, find a way to be in his good graces!" I hissed. "This is crucial for me being able to survive here." He ponders to himself.

"I'll see what I can do."