Part 3 Invoked Nightmare: The moon is upon us

I awoke on the brink of night, gasping from the excruciating pain in my chest. Xavier awoke shortly after.

He sat up slowly and gathered his belongings. "Let's move."
I nodded while grimacing. We slowly crept out the cave; Xavier stepped out first to make sure it's safe.

"Come on!" He urged. I slowly crept out and began following behind him. Soon as my posture straightened, the excruciating pain intensified. I grit my teeth to hold back a groan and clenched my chest. Finally, the pain subsided, I tread behind Xavier, His eyes didn't have the standard wolf manner to them. His eyes were still a gold yellow, but his pupils turned black. "Tsk, damn it!" He grits. "I can't turn."

"Of course, not your body has to be fully transitioned to- "He spun around.

"Why didn't you mention this before?" He grits.

"I thought you would know..." I glared back. Isn't obvious? Suddenly, Xavier stopped. I halted behind him, his steps were quiet, and his movements were very cautious.

I swallowed hard and hid by a tree. My breathing quickened and my blood ran cold. I struggled to ease my mind and breathing in those moments. What scared me the most wasn't Xaviers cautiousness. It had to do with his suspicion. If it were one wolf, he could've taken them out easily. However, he's not even moving.

Every rustle and noise set me off the edge. I constantly flinched and looked toward their direction. It's so dark, I can't make out anything. The rustling stopped, and only silence remained. I laid on the tree as my heart thumped and thudded against my chest. On each thump, I gathered magic energy and prepared for the worst. Every thump felt like it was counting down to the inevitable. Thump! Thump! Thump...

"AWOOOOOO!" I jolted and snapped my attention to the sound. Xavier stepped forward, taking down a wolf in front of me. Another growl emerged behind me! I whipped my head to the growling wolf and moved away from the tree.

The wolf leapt at me; its claws nearly grazed my skin. I unleashed a flame in my hand and hit the wolf. The wolf lets out a high-pitched whimper and falls on the ground.

Another wolf leaps at me, I lock my eyes on it and increase my magic use. A twig snapped to the other side of me, I took a good look around me... And saw four wolves surrounding me! I can't throw flames, if fire spreads through the forest, the fire will lead them right to me. I have to use link magic, several pairs of yellow beady eyes glared at me.

The wolves snarled and growled at me menacingly. I caught the wolf in the air with a barely visible red magic strand. The four wolves leapt at me on different sides.

I held my ground and locked my eyes on the closest wolf coming at me. I caught the other, still holding onto the other wolf. I flung them far from different sides, each fell limp. I panted; link magic is a lot harder than I thought.

I gritted my teeth and caught the other wolf. Now it was like a weight was crushing my body. My magic was weighing on me, I don't have enough strength to fling him. The last wolf noticed my grimacing and attempted to run into me.

Xavier tackled the wolf down and stabbed him with his knife. It was only a matter of time before my grip would loosen. Even if I drop the wolf, it won't be injured. It's not high enough above the ground. I held onto the wolf in midair. It struggled in the air.

I felt my grip softening and the weight crushing me and weighing down my strength even more. I started recalling that night with Elosie and how she had me in the air. I remember the crushing pain in my ribs, now if only I can transfer that pain onto them. I let my mind wander and thought of the excruciating pain she put me through. I closed my eyes to concentrate on it.