Part 4 Pretenses in Vain: Privilege

My eyes flew open, taking in everything around me. It wasn't a dream... I expected to see trees and snow. I let out a sigh and hear a knock at the door.

"Your honorable breakfast is ready in the dining room."

"Thank you..." I stammered, not knowing how to address him.

"It's Finn, you're honorable."

"Thank you, Finn." I joined Xavier at the table, who was already gulping down his plate.

"Did you sleep well?" He grunted.

"Yes, better than a long time."

"I've had no issue sleeping on the- "I let out a cough and gave him a warning glare. "The bed at home, but this one is much comfier." We still have to be cautious. One slip up can turn our paradise to hell.

"Excuse me, you're honorable, would you like to do a dress fitting today? That dress looks quite big on you." I blinked a couple of times, he's not testing us, is he?

"That would be nice, yes." I said, barely audible. Xavier shot me a glare from across, I turned away. I know what he's thinking... that I'm being paranoid and overreacting. Perhaps I am, it's better to be cautious than to be blind to those around you.

"Would you like a dress fitting as well?" By the glance Finn's giving him, I can tell he isn't asking him to be polite. I guess Xavier does look like a beggar, considering his state.

"Thank you, Finn, for your considerate suggestion. I shall take you up on your offer as well." He bared through his teeth. We have so much to get through, don't we? After breakfast, I changed into the dress I wore yesterday. Considering I only wore it one day, I thought it would be fine. But Finn gave me a an expression that said otherwise. None of Lara's dresses fit me, it was tight for me in my chest area. It was torture for me to wear the ridiculous dress all day. I'm so glad we were arriving to the clothier's shop from the carriage. I think if I had to walk wearing this suffocating dress, I'd probably pass out! No wonder noble women ride in carriages all day. Xavier helped me off the carriage. I stepped out the carriage to meet the faces of disapproving glares of me and Xavier. "Just look at me, do I look like your everyday citizen?" It's not just his clothes they are glaring at, it's him. Xavier walked with me inside as if they didn't even exist. Finn accompanied us inside. "Hello, I'm here with my soon to be wife and we need some new clothes and a fitting as well." The woman didn't look at him and completely ignored him.

"Allow me." Finn stepped in front, the woman changed her demeanor and made eye contact with Finn. Finn asked for the same thing, and yet she gave a different response?

"If you will follow me." She said looking right at me and ignoring Xavier. "I've heard you've just settled down here, Ms. Carsten."

"Yes, me and my betrothed have just arrived." Her smile turned into a frown.

"Betrothed? I assumed he was your servant, that's why he spoke so freely. I just assumed he was a new servant that didn't know the rules." I just told her she's not my servant. So why does she keep on suggesting such things? She leads me to a small room and tells me to undress, I don't want her to see my scars. I placed my hand on my chest. I imagined a perfect body of mine, the one I used to have. I opened my eyes and saw it gone. Hopefully Pierce's scars aren't there. I can still feel the scar, but it's not there anymore. Odd... I'm glad I swapped corsets, mine was all ragged and worn.

As did my undergarment... She brings out a long piece of string and wraps it around my waist. I nearly jolt, what is she doing? She mumbles some things to herself and wraps the string around my collarbone. She leaves and comes back with three long flowing dresses; she then grabs the strings of the corset and tightens the damn thing! I whimper in protest and she just tsks! "You need to have it tighter, ask your servants' next time. Argh... you would think with all the pain I would've gone through, this would be nothing. But it still hurts so much, this is unbearable! I reluctantly try on the gorgeous silky dresses, the last time I saw a dress, it was much puffier. But these were slimmer, simple and pretty? I couldn't recognize myself in the mirror. She smiled proudly and gave me three corsets and some more dresses. She went off to find Xavier, as I waited with Finn.

"Your honorable, I hate to ask, but did you guys get mugged on the way here?" Well, thank you for this opportunity, Finn!

"Yes, yes, we did... luckily Xavier was able to fight them off and get us out of there." He nodded. I let out a fake sigh, "That's when I realized I have to marry him, because no other man would've done what he did for me." Considering all he's done, I should at least give him a better reputation than he has now. I don't know what's worse for him, him being seen as the poor boy that was pitied by the daughter of a count. Or being seen as the poor foreign boy... Xavier was done a lot quicker and was dressed in new attire. Now he won't stand out as much, I give the bag of Krone to Finn and wait for him in the carriage with Xavier. Finn joins us looking at me disappointedly.

"Your honorable, may I speak freely?" Freely? Isn't speaking already a freedom itself? I nodded my head. "Next time, you should count the amount of Krone and not just hand her the pouch. It's not wise to be frivolous with Krone." Truth be told, I don't know how to count Krone.

"I see."

"I gave her the exact amount instead." He hands me the pouch. "If you need help counting, just ask me to help."

"I know how to count Krone as well; you could've asked me too." Finn didn't say a word after that.