• Chapter 31 • Family •

Start from the beginning

"You can turn round, I'm changed." I tell him and he does as I say.

"We tried calling your parents, then your sister-" he tells me.

"Fiona?" I ask smiling widely.

"Yes, but we couldn't get an answer," he explains.

"That's fine," I wave my hand in dismissal, speaking quickly, "I'll figure something out, you can release me on my own, right? I'm sixteen."

"Yes, we can," He nods.

I feel around in my pocket and pull out around ten bucks in change, holding it up triumphantly, "well, gents, thanks for having me. The hospitality was abysmal. See ya!"

The guard rolls his eyes with a flicker of a smile crossing his face, "stay out of trouble, Gallagher."

"Sir, yes sir," I salute to him. I head over to the door and push them open, grinning at the feeling of the suffocatingly hot air blowing over me. Jogging down the steps and walking to the nearest station for the L, the smile doesn't leave my face. When I reach the station I actually pay for my ticket for once and get on the train. Ignoring the confused looks I keep getting due to my attire, I sit by the window, smiling as I watch the city whiz past me.

Eventually I get off of the train and head back down to the street, walking the rest of the distance to my home.

"I'M FREE, MOTHERFUCKERS!" I scream, skipping down the street, clutching onto my bag with the rest of my belongings like my coat and stuff in it.

I reach North Wallace and raise an eyebrow when I see my twin brother and Iggy Milkovich carrying Mickey into the house, whilst he yells. I jog quicker towards the house and another car pulls up and some old guy, in surgical scrubs, gets out and runs inside.

I run in after him, gaping at the sight in front of me. Debbie's daycare is running as normal, so there's little kids everywhere but I don't see Debbie, and Mickey Milkovich is bent over our kitchen counter, bullet wound on his ass, as the doctor guy starts trying to remove the bullet.

I stand frozen in the doorway, a huge grin on my face. I'm home.

"Emma?" Carl says excitedly. He jumps up and runs into my open arms, "you're here!"

"Yeah I'm back kiddo!" I hold him tight.

"I missed you so much!" He grins

"Not as much as I missed you!" I tell him making his smile widens even further.

"Where's the hair gone?" I furrow my eyebrows, holding his head in my hands.

"Nits..." he says, but it sounds more like a question.

I'm about to ask about it but I falter when I see a petite woman with glasses, standing in our living room, wearing formal work clothes.

"Carl, who's this?" I ask him.

He shrugs, shoving his hands into his pockets.

Mickey suddenly screams as a bullet is removed from his ass, and the lady's eyes widen, "Oh my."

"Heh..." I try to smile awkwardly, "sorry about all this, "can I help you?"

Fiona walks into the house, through the back door, covered in mud, her eyes widening at the sight of the impromptu surgery taking place on our kitchen counter. "Ian, what the fuck?" She yells.

"I can explain this," I hear Ian quickly say.

"Who the hell are you?" She ask the lady, not seeing me.

"I'm Britney Sturges from Child Protective Services." She says trying to keep it together.

"Oh shit," I mutter.