«12 - Ambush»

As we finally climb out of that hole, I notice everyone shivering. It was pretty cold.

I didn't have any warm clothing with me to give to the younger kids although, I did have a scarf which I hand to Nat.

"Take it or you'll get a cold." I say scruffling Nat's red hair.

The two of us walk over to Gilda as she's talking to Don and Emma,
"So.. as long as it stays cold, the roots won't attack again?" Gilda asks.

"Probably." Emma replies.
"Good thing we left during Winter." I thank.
"Yeah, or else we'd be in big trouble right now." Don finishes.

"Actually..." Nat adds, "According to this book, the floor doesn't cave in unless it's Winter."

He points to the line saying, 'The Alvar Pinera is a legendary cave one can only enter during the Winter season.'

"Good thing we left during Winter, huh?" Gilda giggles behind me.

"But I'm glad this happened." I look over to Emma unsurprised as she says those words, "The outside world is full of unknowns and the words of the book have meaning."

I experience and knowledge are the best skills you can have in this world...

I walk off towards Ray who's looking around on the ground,
"What are you looking for?" I ask tilting my head to where Ray is digging around.

"Some sort of plant." He responds. I look around for a plant and look next to a tree to find a plant that looks sort of like a dragon fruit,
"Ray, is this it?"

I bend down to examine the plant. It seems like food, is that why Ray is looking for it? He looks over and calls to Emma,
"Emma! I found it!"

"You found it?" I scoff. Ray smiles and scratches the nape of his neck. We take the plants and strut over to everyone.

"What is it?" Anna asks.
"Water." Ray replies. Ray receives a bunch of questioning glances from everyone

"Oh, those are mentioned in the book. Anemones that store water." I point out

Ray takes the knife from me and makes a slice in the 'anemone' and holds a jar near it.

Water sprays out from the plant filling up the jar,
"These things obviously aren't real anemones, but if we follow what the book says, this water should be drinkable."

"Let's go see Minerva-san." Emma says grabbing the attention of everyone, "Let's all survive and do our best to get out of here! Just a bit more."

Everyone turns to me to say something inspirational. I sigh,
"If any of you die, I'll bring you back and kill you myself, but just so you know, I won't be letting anyone die..." I just barely whisper the last part looking down the my side scratching my cheek.

Everyone looks at me and tackles me to the ground as she share laughter and warmth,
"Ah! Owch! You're gonna kill me!"

«•»

"Emma! Is this the right way?" Don asks.

We're back on the move, heading for Minerva-san,
"Yeah, but we've gone a bit off course while we were underground." She replies, checking the hologram that displays 'B00-15'.