Eyes Opened, Hearts Broken

Yang held the cowl with trembling fingers. Her breaths were shallow, air filling her lungs only to just as quickly leave them. Before her sat a bound man, head drooping down. Gone was the creature that prowled the city streets, in its stead was a young man around her age, beaten and limp.

"I-Is he...dead?"

The thought alone filled the blonde with dread. She had been so adamant about slaying the Batman. She had convinced herself there was nothing human about him. That killing him would bring her sister peace. It became her main goal. Now that she knew the Batman was in fact a he instead of an it, she prayed it was a goal she hadn't achieved.

Weiss stood in shock. Many emotions swirled in her heart as did the thoughts in her head. Her best friend was a vigilante. Her best friend went out every night and put his life in jeopardy. Her best friend had been keeping secrets from her, hiding something from her. Perhaps the worst of it all was that he was hurting, and she had done nothing to help him.

She turned her attention to Yang. The leather clad cowl was still clutched in her shaking hands. She was now able to discern one emotion. She felt rage. Her teammate had made an effort to kill someone so important to her. If the sound from when he was hit was any indication, she likely had.

"Why?"

The brawler's eyes darted to her stark white teammate.

"Why did you want him gone so badly? Why wouldn't you just stop and listen?!" The platinum blonde was consumed in her anger.

"I-"

"You what?! You didn't like him so he had to die?!"

"I-I didn't know..." Yang's voice shook.

"Are you happy now?!" Weiss growled. "He's dead now! The Batman's dead now! Are you proud of yourself?!"

"No!" Yang shouts back in tears. "I didn't....if I just...I didn't think..." Her voice trailed off.

"Guys..." Blake calls.

"What Blake?! What could possibly be so important?!"

"Look."

The four girls turn to the chair. They hear a soft groan as Y/N raises his head. His vision blurry, he puts all his effort into focusing on the figures before him. Despite their differing emotions, both blondes felt an immense rush of relief.

Weiss choked on her words. "Y-Y/N..."

He looked to her with a degree of sadness. In a perfect world she would have never found out. At the very least he hoped he'd be the one to tell her on his own terms. He'd have never wanted it to come to this.

Ruby stepped forward nervously. "Uh, hi. I-I'm Ruby. I'm sorry for all the fighting. W-We just want to talk, I swear!"

"Then why am I tied to a chair?" He asks flatly.

"I-It was just to make sure you'd stay! Promise!" Ruby says with an anxious look to her eyes.

"You've been after Roman Torchwick." Blake spoke calmly. "Why is he so important to you?"

"He isn't. He works for who is." He answers monotonously.

"Who?" Ruby inquires.

There was a sudden edge to the young man's eyes. "Oswald Cobblepot."

"The mayoral candidate?" Weiss asks in confusion.

"He's spent the last three decades in Gotham overseeing its criminal underworld. Every time he's been accused he's almost immediately acquitted."