C.17- Venue Hunting or Haunting?

Începe de la început

"That's what happens when you leave things out in the open like that, not having closure. You're always going to have questions." He ran his hand through his hair and smiled at her. "This is the perfect time for you guys to talk."

Violet sighed and slowed her pace as they realized that they were nearing the house. "Would it even be helpful if we did end up talking about everything?"

"Talking to him would be like closing a chapter of your life. You both need that to move on and be happy individually."

Violet lightly shoved Bryant. "When did you become such a wise ass?"

He shrugged, "You missed out a lot,"

"I know. I won't ever do that again Bry."

This time he was the one to shove her. "You better not."

They finally stopped at a beautiful four story mansion— more like a castle. The house had a lonely feel in it, like the place hasn't been occupied for decades now. Looking at it from the outside, aside from it being beautiful was that it looked more scary than bright despite the white paint that coats the entire house.

"Looks kinda creepy," Lucas whispered behind her that sent chills up her spine.

"Jesus, don't do that."

He smirked.

"Good afternoon! You must be Patricia and Luigi! I'm Victoria, I'm the venue coordinator, please help yourselves to some finger sandwiches and champagne." She smiled warmly as she gestured towards a huge dining table with a variety of finger sandwiches, cheese plates and crackers.

"So this house was built in 1917, the house has a left wing, right wing, a main house, a guest house at the back with the pool and very spacious backyard with the beach just a walking distance from..." Victoria continued on to talk about the house as she walked and everyone followed her lead. Violet however, was too busy with the thought of Lucas beside her and eerily feel that the house gave off.

Like the eerily feel I get now that Lucas is so close to me. She thought to herself but still continued on quietly because she didn't exactly know what to say.

"This house is beautiful, but you have to admit that it feels creepy to be in here right?" Lucas spoke with a goofy smile on his face that made Violet smile as well.

"Yeah but I mean, for the price of it, this is a catch. I can imagine Luigi and Pat getting married here."

"I imagine a lot of people getting married here." Lucas replied. "I mean, like other couples that we don't know, complete strangers." He quickly added.

Violet chuckled softly but stopped at her tracks when she saw a beautiful white vanity table in one of the bedrooms. Everyone else was continuing with the tour, Lucas followed her.

"I love this." She said as she looked at their reflection in the mirror, Lucas standing behind her as she met his gaze.

Lucas walked back and decided to look over the entire room. The canopy bed was positioned right in the middle of the room. The big windows gave way for all the light from the sun to shine, but his eyes were once again fixated on Violet.

"I have to tell you something." Violet says as she spun around to face him.

Lucas nodded, speechless at how beautiful she is. This was the first time he actually looked at her since she got back, she still had the same deep beautiful brown eyes, with her long brown hair, her cute nose and her face looked the same as when he used to love her. He still felt the same annoying but warm feeling he got every time he looked at her.

He still felt the same as he did all those years ago.

"I don't know how to start." She looked down sadly, running a hand through her long hair. "I guess I want you to know that I never stopped thinking about you, about us. And how wrong I was to have left things the way I did. I mean not just with you, but with everyone else that I love."

Lucas slowly walked towards her until they were face to face, with little space between them. He almost reached out to hold her face in his hands, just as he used to when she was sad. But he stopped himself, she wasn't his girl anymore. "Violet, you had to do what you thought was right. I mean it was fucking stupid, but you did what you did and you can't change that now." He smiled sadly.

His smile may be hiding the way he truly feels, but his eyes are saying all the things his mouth couldn't and Violet knew that.

"I'm sorry, I loved you so much, I couldn't even begin to imagine what Anton would have done if I chose you. I can't bring myself to accept that he could potentially hurt you. I was so stupid, I could have done more, I should have just—"

This time, Lucas didn't hesitate to hold her face as he wiped her tears away with his thumb. He looked deep into her eyes, "You don't have to say anything, okay? I forgive you, we all do. Please forgive yourself too. I mean yes it was hell trying to move on from you, but they helped me— especially Monique." He smiled sadly, remembering the fact that he now has a girlfriend and Violet was still married to Anton. "She helped put the pieces that you broke when you left me. Maybe this lifetime isn't for us, you know?"

Violet's heart stung at every word he said, maybe this lifetime wasn't for their love.

"I like to think that in an alternate universe or reality, maybe there was Lucas and Violet, already married or are engaged to be married, happy and still answering cupid mails but is successful in life and is very happy with eight-pack abs Lucas." He joked.

She rolled her eyes at him. "You have eight pack abs now. And how come you didn't tell me about the cupid mails you've been answering all this time?"

He shrugged, "At the time, I figured you've left us, but it doesn't mean you leave those who need you for love advice too. Just because you stopped loving me and stopped being you, doesn't mean it has to end for them you know?"

"Lucas, I never stopped loving you. You will always be the bad boy that drove me crazy, you will always be the only person who brought the most amazing and funniest parts of me. Being with you has made me realize that love is simple and easy, and it can make you feel giddy and warm and confident. I wouldn't be who I am today without the love you gave me, Lucas." This time, she was the one who reached out to hold his face in her hands, he leaned into her touch like it was so easy. Because it was. It always has been. "But I am with Anton now, and I love him, and you're with Monique, who fixed you and made you whole again."

His heart sank as he took in everything she said. Tears welling up in his eyes. "Why didn't you choose me? Why didn't you choose us?"

At this point, they were both crying now, the haunted house that they were in felt more like a haunting of their past— the day before she married another man.

Violet couldn't bring herself to answer that goddamn question, because deep down she felt and knew that marrying Anton just to keep everyone safe wasn't valid nor acceptable. She felt like she didn't fight for them hard enough— this is what killed her the most.

Meanwhile, Joana heard crying from one of the bedroom and decided to check if it was a ghost from this beautiful but eerie mansion.

This was where she saw Lucas and Violet, crying. They were due to leave any minute now because the tour was over. So she softly knocked on the door. "Guys, I'm sorry I have to break it up, we have to go back to our place."

The old lovers looked up at their friend and pulled away from their embrace. Leaving the unanswered question hanging in the air. They both stood up and looked at each other as if to say that this wasn't finished.

They wiped their tears, smiled at each other sadly and followed Joana out the door.

——-