C.12- The Biggest Secret

CHAPTER 12

"Since your wife is going to the beach, I think it's appropriate for us to take a little road trip." Margaux suggested as soon as she heard about Violet and her friends going away for the weekend.

"Oh, her friends told me not to come after them." Anton replied, a little too sad.

"Oh come on, don't be a fucking pussy Anton. We're not going after them, we're going for a three hour drive to New Jersey." Dennis replied.

"That's right, we can finally show you guys our new house in Jersey. We bought it earlier this year." Zachary chimed as he poured himself another glass of whiskey.

"Well then, let's go to the Ocean City lads." Anton cheered. He was ready to spend the weekend with his friends, to make up for lost time.

"Great! I'll call the others to see if they would tag along." Margaux walked out of the room with her cellphone.

After almost four hours of driving, Anton and his friends finally arrived at the beach house. Everyone else was already waiting for them.

"Anton is here!" Lorenzo cheered as he raised is red plastic cup, everyone cheered with him as they welcomed their friend.

"Goddamn, this house is really nice. Thanks for having us man." Anton was grateful and happy for having his friends with him. Just like the old times, he thought to himself as he joined his friends.

More questions to answer was what he thought to himself when he joined them.

"So, Violet Martin. Interesting." Scott was holding a red cup in his right hand, as he looked at Anton curiously. Scott was one of his high school friends. The most honest of all his friends.

Anton shrugged seeming to think he knows where this conversation is going. "We're happy."

They all nodded in understanding, but Anton could tell that there was more to this topic.

"We were all surprised that you got married is all. We never knew you were the marrying type, and if you were, we always saw you marrying Margaux." Dennis stated and then drank his cold beer.

Anton looked from the counter to the opened back door that leads directly to the beach, he saw Margaux and a couple other of their girl friends talking and laughing animatedly. He looked at Margaux in her white bikini top and Gucci sunglasses at the top of her head, the wind was blowing hard but she didn't seem bothered by it.

Margaux must have felt him staring at her because she looked his way and gave him a small smile as she looked in his eyes briefly, before turning back to talking to their friends.

It felt like a long time before he snapped out of it. He shook his head and looked down at his warming beer, "I think I need a new cup of beer." He started to walk toward the keg stand. But Zachary's voice stopped him.

"You can't avoid this Anton, you need to talk to us about it. Is it because of the baby?"

Anton felt his chest tighten, "What baby? What are you talking about?" He faced his friends again looking at all their faces.

They all seem to know something that he didn't know about.

"Was Margaux— but she told me it died, she told me the baby didn't make it, she said—"

Scott shook his head as everyone else did. "The baby never died Anton."

"W-what do you mean? She told me it didn't make it, she said the baby died what.. she—"