Chapter 34

♡ chapter 34 ♡

        At last, Thanksgiving break had arrived. However, the first day had not been as relaxing as I planned. Considering it was Thanksgiving, we would all be heading over to my grandmother's house with the rest of the family. I had forgotten last night that I was asked to make brownies, thus leading to the chaotic mess I'm in now.

        Mom was in the shower while Noah was trying to find his right shoe (somehow he lost it when he threw it in his closet - I didn't ask), and I was frantically dumping ingredients and whisking it all together. We didn't have one of those fancy mixers, so I concluded that this would qualify as my workout for the day.

        Once I had gotten them in the pan, I measured the time to bake them and the time we had until we were due for Sitti. After realizing I'd only have about five minutes myself to get ready, I hurried to turn on the timer before heading to the stairs. As soon as the tip of my toe touched the bottom step, the doorbell rang.

        Huffing, I jogged over and pulled the door open to see Harry. "Oh, good, you can keep on eye on the brownies while I get dressed."

        I didn't give him a chance to answer before pulling him in, closing the door behind me. He opened his mouth to speak, but I darted up the stairs before he could utter a word. Not to be rude, of course, but I was still in my pajamas and last time I showed up on a holiday with pajamas, my mother went ballistic.

        Harry knocked on my door frame while I was in the midst of pulling out the tangles. He smirked, leaning against the wood. "You seem in a rush."

        "Well, I woke up late because I forgot it was Thanksgiving, and then I forgot that I was asked to make brownies because quite frankly, I'm the best baker Florida will ever know, and then I remembered that last time I went to my grandma's house in pajamas, I got in trouble. So, here I am," I rambled.

        He chuckled, and then Noah appeared. "Hey, Harry." Harry nodded in greeting and Noah turned to me. "Are you sure you haven't seen my left sneaker?"

        I frowned. "I thought it was the right one?"

        His eyes widened for a moment before he slapped his hand to his forehead. "Crap, now they're both gone."

        Harry rose an eyebrow. "Don't you have other shoes?"

        "Yeah, and how'd you lose shoes in your closet?"

        Noah waved us away. "I don't have time for nagging. My precious sneakers need me."

        Harry laughed and I watched him walk away, shaking my head. "He's been around Jacob too much, don't you think?"

        "Or maybe just enough," said Harry. "He used to be really awkward and shy. Guess Jacob gave him that sass."

        After shoving Harry out of my room so I could change my clothes, I allowed him back in so he could help me tug on the boots I was going to wear. Not that I can't put them on myself, but quite frankly, my calves are bigger than I bargained for. Not to wear I looked out of proportion, but enough for the boots to be a pain.

        Sighing after I got the zipper up, I heard the beep downstairs. "Oh! My brownies are done!"

        Just as I reached the doorway to the kitchen, the doorbell rang again. Groaning, I spun around to get it and Harry smiled before saying, "I'll get it. I'd rather not eat burnt brownies."

        And so I did, grabbing a magazine to help cool them off quicker so I could cut them instead of taking the entire pan. Harry came into the kitchen with Jeremy behind him, alerting me that his father went to see my mom and I mentally gagged, hoping she was already out of the shower.