Chapter 29

♡ chapter 29 ♡

        This place is crawling with divas," Jacob muttered as he stared disgustingly at each girl who walked by with flyers. "No one knows half of them. Do they really expect to win?"

        I shrugged. "I don't really care. Homecoming is overrated and annoying."

        "Grace, if you want to be on the ballot just say so."

        I glared at him. "No, I don't. I don't like crowds, I don't like being in front of crowds, I don't like being looked at-"

        He held his hand up. "I get it, sheesh. If only they let gay people run for Homecoming Queen."

        Rolling my eyes, I smiled as I approached my locker. Jacob leaned against the others while I traded out my book, at least three girls asking us to vote for her with a pathetic flyer to go with it. Each held a picture of them, professionally taken in some fancy outfit. I snorted, crumbling each of them and tossing them in the garbage. 

        Why are they wasting paper for this?

        Brady and Harry came up a moment later, a smile pulling at my lips when Harry kissed my cheek in greeting. Brady groaned. "Is it going to be like this all the time now?"

        "All I did was kiss her cheek."

        "I think it's cute."

        "Of course you do, Jacob."

        "Don't be jealous because you're single, Brady."

        "The single way is the only way," said Brady as he grinned, leaning his back against the lockers. "Aside from, you know, but that's clearly not going to happen."

        As if to prove his theory, Ivette came scurrying up to us with a goofy grin on her lips. "Guess what guess what guess what!"

        "You forgot to breathe?" I asked as I gave her an odd look.

        She rolled her eyes, but her grin remained. "Mike asked me to go to homecoming with him!" She squealed to herself, gripping a rose a suppose Mike got for her.

        Brady pushed himself off the lockers with a sigh. "That's my cue," he murmured before walking away, Ivette not even noticing.

        I frowned, wishing she'd stop being so oblivious for five seconds. I don't trust Mike with her. He sneaks around too much - Ivette knew that. I don't want her getting hurt and yet I feel like it's inevitable now that they're going to the dance together.

        She paused a moment later, frowning. "What's wrong? Aren't you guys happy for me?"

        Jacob gave her a look. "Aren't you overreacting a bit?"

        Ivette pursed her lips, looking more angry than upset. "Seriously? He's been my crush for as long as I can remember, he finally asked me out, and you guys think I'm overreacting? Yet it's okay for Grace to squeal all the time just because she's with Harry now."

        I gaped at her. "First off, I don't squeal. Secondly, why is this about me now?"

        "Whatever." Ivette shook her head, walking off before any of us could say anything.

        Harry pinched the bridge of his nose, Jacob grumbled under his breath, but I just stood there. I guess I was happy for Ivette because she scored her mega-crush, but I didn't want him hurting her, which is exactly what he'll end up doing. I probably should have at least acted excited, for her benefit. I just couldn't bring myself too.