Chapter 35

♡ chapter 35 ♡

        Christmas was soon upon us before anyone was truly prepared. I'll admit that I had not idea what to get Harry, especially considering he told me to not even bother. But I knew he was too sweet and would get me something, so cliche enough, I had to also live up to the gift exchange.

        It was the twenty-third of December when I finally realized what I could do. It was corny, to say the least, but it was a gift from the heart. And yes, it was two days before Christmas, so I decided to roll with it anyways.

        Ivette had came over looking utterly flustered, barging into my room while I was in the midst of wrapping Harry's present. I looked up at her, frowned at her frantic expression, paused my music and stood in case she broke down crying and needed a hug. But I had clearly misjudged her expression when a smile slowly crept onto her lips.

        "Brady kissed me," were the first three words to leave her lips.

        My jaw had probably dropped, but I was laughing soon after as she hugged me tight, rambling on about how adorable it had all been. I listened to how excited she sounded, thankful she finally had someone decent in her life aside from her friends. I was accidentally being Jacob by calculating their future together in my head.

        After that bit of excitement, Ivette stayed with me (mostly to borrow our wrapping paper for her own gift-wrapping session). She told me her parents were going out of town to see the rest of her family, and somehow she had managed to convince them to stay home.

        "You don't want to see your crazy uncle Ben?" I asked her.

        She snorted. "And get another lecture on why canes are the best defense weapon? I'll pass. I've heard too many stories of him and that cane already."

        I laughed. "Maybe you should buy one, anyways. He could be right, you know."

        All she did was roll her eyes before saying, "So what kind of overly-romantic-make-me-wanna-barf-thing did you get Harry?"

        I gave her a look. "It's not anything overly romantic. And you can't be talking considering you got Brady his favorite romance movies." Then I shook my head. "I'm surprised he even likes them."

        She smiled. "I think it's cute for a guy to show his sensitive side."

        "True, but even can only handle so many romance movies before wanna barf."

        "Touché."

        Just then, there was another knock at my door before Jacob came in, holding his hands up as if to calm us. "Save your applause, ladies, I know you were all dying for my presence."

        Ivette laughed. "Get over yourself, moron."

        "Fair enough."

        I smiled. "So, what'd you get me?"

        "Not a damn thing," he teased before pinching my cheek.

        "Good because I didn't get you anything either."

        And the rest of the night danced away with the back-and-forth banter, my two best friends and I finally going back to a regular movie night. We hadn't had one in so long, I had forgotten just how amazing they both were. I realized how thankful I truly was to have so many amazing people be apart of my life.

***

          Christmas day, the entire family had migrated over to our house instead of my grandmother's. She wasn't feeling her best, so one of my uncles picked her up on the way over so she wouldn't have to prep any food or anything. She sat on the couch and turned on the ID Channel (murder investigations, basically), until my mom told her that it wasn't appropriate for the two little ones.