6 - pathological liar

Going back to her cashier position made her oddly disappointed, and it didn't go unnoticed by her sweet-toothed coworker.

Brady swirled the purple lollipop in his mouth as he narrowed his eyes at the mysterious girl across from him. As always, she was constantly looking back at the customer support section with a crestfallen look on her face.

He pushed himself off of the edge of the counter and made his way towards her.

"Hey, where are you going? I haven't paid for my clothes!" his customer called out, but he waved dismissively.

"Just press some buttons, you'll figure it out," he assured them before reaching the city girl's station. She jumped slightly when she noticed him in front of her.

"Hi, Brady."

He grinned. "Hi, Ali. What were you looking at?"

"Oh, the, um, baby food aisle," she said, raising her hand to point behind her, but he slowly pushed it down.

"I see spending some time with the pathological liar didn't help your skills at all."

Ali smiled sheepishly. "I don't think anyone could help me with that."

"Hm. Well, I've actually been meaning to ask how much last week scarred you. Five whole days with that beautiful, but scary, guy must've done a number on you," Brady said, and she looked down at her hands, thinking.

"I mean, I guess. He didn't scar me too much," Ali muttered, then shrugged nonchalantly. "Or like, at all."

Brady suddenly threw his arms up, making her jump once again, and pointed an accusing finger at her. "I knew it! You actually think he's nice!"

"Well, he's not mean."

"No, but he could be if it benefitted him," he retorted, crossing his arms. "So did you talk to him?"

"A little."

"And what did you think?"

Ali thought back, her lips forming into a smile. "I don't know. He was kind of sweet, in an emotionless way."

"How is that even possible? Do you hear yourself right now?" Brady shook his head, and she chuckled.

"He's really not that bad, Brady."

He sighed. "I know he's not the worst person in the world, but he is definitely not someone that you should be friends with."

She glanced back at the boy they were talking about, trying to decide for herself if he was right.

"But that doesn't matter anyway," Brady suddenly said, getting a last lick on his lollipop before throwing it away. She looked back at him, puzzled at his words. "After all, Sawyer Price isn't the type of person to make friends or hang out with anyone for long periods of time. He probably won't talk to you again unless he's forced to."

Ali frowned. Was their first conversation actually their last?