Chapter Two

I pulled up outside the Gilbert house just as it had gotten dark, and the porch lights were on.

Stefan sighed, “I should go in and talk to Jeremy.” He got out of the car and began walking up to the door as Jeremy came out, his expression read worry as he peered into the car to see Elena, dully climbing out to be embraced by a worrying brother. She gave him a reassuring smile and went inside.

I got out as Jeremy came over, “What happened?”

“I found her at the hospital with Bonnie. She doesn’t remember what happened very well, but she said she was scared of something.” I said. I walked past and up the walkway to the door, it didn’t feel right to leave Elena.

I found her in her room, her hand running through her hair as she walked the length of her room, tears obviously running down her cheeks. I stood in front of her as she turned around; neither of us said a word as I cleared the tears from her face with my thumb. She didn’t look away from me; she just looked, as if she were sorry. Her eyes then dropped down as she turned and curled up on her bed.

I carefully walked over and brushed the hair off her face, “I’ll be downstairs, I have to speak to Jeremy. I’ll be back.” I said, quietly without an answer as I slipped quickly out the door.

Jeremy and Stefan were sitting downstairs, Jeremy looking quite distressed. Once he saw me he got to his feet, “Is she okay?”

“She’s fine.” I said sitting, “Has she spoken to you lately, about anything unusual?”

He frowned, “No, she’s barely come out of her room over the last few days.”

“She’s just stressed, let her get over it.” Stefan said dismissively, desperately trying not to think of his ex-girlfriend.

“It’s not that simple, Stefan.” I snapped.

“Then compel her!”

I can’t!” I hissed in a low tone, “She said she doesn’t remember last night. She just remembers feeling watched and running off, but she didn’t remember the forest.” A frustrated feeling boiled.

“Well let’s see.” Stefan said, his eyes narrowing as the old him began to come out. He was angry with Elena for leaving him, and now he was as cold hearted as I. I got to my feet, blocking him before he could make a move upstairs, “Don’t.” I said firmly.

“We’ll get it out of her, get her back on track, then we can go on with our lives.” He said, gesturing to the stairs.

Do not compel her.” I said threateningly to my little brother, “She just needs to rest and she’ll be better by morning.”

“Compel her and find out what it is, make her forget it, and even restore a little love on my side.” He said, shoving past me so I was pushed against the rack against the entrance wall, making it fall with a loud ‘bang!’

I got to my feet, with a severe his as my fangs emerged and eyes darkened with the familiar brightness of the new hunting sight. I jumped from the ground level to the upstairs as Stefan reached the door. I pulled an arm around his chest as I hit the ground, sending him down, “You know I can defeat you, I’ve had human blood in my system a lot longer than you have. Go.” I said powerfully as my eyes returned to the normal sight.

I stepped over him and peered into Elena’s room as Stefan left like a gush of wind. I opened the door and tentatively walked in, “Elena?” I called, seeing her bed and chair empty, “Elena?” I asked with a more concerned edge. I walked quickly to her bed, peering under it, assuming all the sound had frightened her in the state she was in.