Chapter Nine

I woke up on Tuesday morning with Elena asleep beside me, but we had both slept uneasily that night. It was hard to tell what Elena really felt. I didn’t want to wake Elena, she looked so peaceful for once, but I knew that what was head needed to be done.

“Elena,” I murmured lightly, resting my hand on her shoulder, “Wakey, wakey.” 

Her eyelids fluttered with the disturbance of her sleep, “No.” she moaned and burrowed into the pillows.

“Come on,” I said shaking her lightly, “We have to get this over with.”

Her eyes opened and she groaned, “That’s today.”

“Yep, I’ll let you have a shower and get ready.” I said, “Don’t go back to sleep.” I got out of bed and collected some clothes for the day and then left her alone.

It was hard to tell if Elena really wanted to go through with this. Elena knew as well as I did that Mystic Falls was an unpredictable place to live. You could be dead within seconds and never have been able to foresee it. It was a plain and true fact that Elena might never have this chance again, and I sure wouldn’t either. Then again, I didn’t particularly want to keep this weird mix of vampire and human baby either. This wasn’t the place to bring up a child, especially not when Elena was such a flashing target.

I made Elena and I breakfast as she had a shower upstairs and once I had finished making it I rested it on the table, which was really never used apart from a dinner party once or twice. Elena came downstairs in jeans and a long sleeve shirt with her hair falling neatly over her shoulders, and she smiled, as though she were actually confident about today, but anyone could see that was a lie.

“How did you sleep? Better next to me?” I teased, still trying to lighten the mood even in these unfortunate circumstances. Elena gave me a disapproving look but she smiled nonetheless.

Elena got up and sighed once we had finished breakfast, “I should call Jeremy before we leave and let him know I won’t be at school.” She said, staring down at her phone before holding it to her ear, “Hey Jer’, it’s me.”  Elena said, “Yeah, everything’s fine. I was staying with Damon… I’m not coming to school today; so don’t worry when you don’t see me there. Also tell Caroline and Bonnie. Thanks Jeremy, I love you, bye.”  She slid the phone into the back pocket of her jeans once she hung up. She took in a deep breath and looked at me, “We better get going.” She said quietly, and picked up her bag to head for the door.

The car trip was quite silent as we drove out of Mystic Falls and into a nearby city. Elena seemed very scared, but I didn’t want to ask her about it and potentially make it worse. I desperately craved for more knowledge about this, even when we didn’t necessarily need to know why such a thing was even possible.

“Look, Damon I’m sorry about this.” Elena admitted with relief flooding in her tone as though she had been dying to say it.

I looked quickly at Elena, “Don’t be sorry, none of this is your fault. None of this is anyone’s fault, I had no clue this could even happen.” I said.

“Yeah, I know, not about that.” She said, “About doing this. I didn’t really ask what you wanted.”

“I want what you want.” I said simply, “Besides, a baby could, no, a baby would be a really bad idea, and we both know it. Besides, Stefan would literally stake me.”

“Yeah, but this is the only chance you’ll get to have a child.” She said quietly.

“I don’t want a child, Elena.” I said quickly, scrunching up my nose at the thought, “I’m past the soppy human stuff, even when I was a human I didn’t pay any though to having kids.” I explained. I was quite sure what I was saying was true, however, if Elena chose to keep the baby I’d be prepared. I rectified what I had said, “I mean, if you had have chosen to keep whatever that weird baby mix is, I’d be cool with it.”