twelve

omg y'all.
we got to 1k reads!!!
i cannot express how amazing this is and how much it means to me, thank you so, so much 🤍. here's an extra chapter for this milestone :)

edited: april 2, 2021; august 10, 2023
✺✺✺

When (Y/N) walks out of the Hermes cabin, her head hangs, her focus glued to her combat boots as they hit the wooden platform. She keeps her arms crossed over her torso, pulling her jacket tighter around herself in the hopes for an added sense of security.

The sound of her footsteps earns the attention of Percy, Annabeth, and Grover as they wait patiently outside—the boys rest with their backs on the grass while Annabeth paces, running a hand through her hair. The daughter of Athena rushes over to (Y/N) while Percy and Grover prop themselves up on their elbows.

(Y/N)'s gaze drifts up to meet her friend's eye. Guilt swirls in her gut.

"I feel so bad," she whispers. Annabeth pulls her into a hug.

"It's okay," she murmurs, stroking (Y/N)'s hair. "It isn't your fault."

(Y/N) nods, pulling away and turning to the boys, who stand. Grover gnaws on his lower lip while Percy's eyebrows pinch together in concern. She gives them a tiny smile, and they relax.

"Well?" she asks, adjusting her backpack on her shoulders. "Let's get going."

On the bus ride to the stop nearest Auntie Em's Garden Emporium, Percy and Grover sit across the aisle from (Y/N) and Annabeth. Percy cannot help but continue to glance over at the girls as they talk. He can't make out what they're saying, but he can easily tell that (Y/N) feels uncomfortable while Annabeth is understanding.

Percy figures it has to be about Luke.

Grover pokes his shoulder with one of his crutches. "Hey, Perce," he whispers, leaning over.

"Yeah?" Percy asks, pulling his attention away from the girls.

"Stop staring at Annabeth."

"I'm not."

"Then stop staring at (Y/N)."

Percy blushes. He lightly slaps Grover's shoulder, looking away and pulling one of his legs up onto the seat. 

"Hey, Blue," (Y/N) says after a few minutes, pivoting in her seat. She rests her legs under the armrest, stretching them out in the aisle.

"What's up?" Percy asks in response, turning so that he mirrors her position.

"When's our stop?"

"Um . . ." Percy pulls out his phone, looking at their location, "probably in, like, half an hour."

"Sweet, thanks," she says, lightly kicking his foot. 

Percy narrows his eyes at her. She chuckles. He kicks her foot, and (Y/N) returns the favor. Soon enough, the two get into a foot-kicking battle, their cheerleaders being Grover and Annabeth. They manage to find enough entertainment in this activity for the remaining time on the bus, only pulling their feet away when someone needs to cross the aisle.

Some give them warm smiles. Others mutter phrases such as 'Stupid kids' under their breath.

(Y/N) lets out a soft gasp, putting a hand to her heart in offense. She whispers to Percy, "He just called us stupid!" 

Percy's eyes widen, and he shakes his head in disappointment.

In unison, the two turn their heads and stick their tongues out at the man's back.