Chapter Thirty- A Matter of Maturity

.................................................

"Finally made it, Remus. You ought to elbow people, it's very effective," James teased, holding up his arms bent in example.

"What's going on?" Sirius asked, peering around. "Where's, ol' Sluggy?"

"We don't know." Peter shrugged and Remus wondered if just maybe his day was getting better.

"Maybe he canceled class because of the visitors." Remus dared to voice his hopeful opinion out loud.

Why did Sirius look disappointed over that?

Remus shook his head, he really must be out of it still. There was no way Sirius of all people would ever be disappointed to miss class. James maybe, since he pretended not to but he enjoyed most of the classes. Peter was another one, alongside Sirius, who would never be disappointed about missing class except for maybe History of Magic since that was basically time to nap for them.

If there was no class Remus could go to the library. Except Lily would most likely go there, so he'd go outside instead and get his Transfiguration homework done. That sounded much nicer than battling down the revulsion and uncomfortableness that assaulted him every time he walked through the door.

"Scuse me. Excuse me, I'm coming through," Slughorn called, bustling his way through the small crowd of students.

Guess not.

"Professor, is everything alright?" Lily seemed to be one of the few students who actually sincerely cared about their professors' well-being.

"The visitors better not have already arrived," James muttered, sounding thoroughly put out about that possibility.

Professor Slughorn chuckled as he fumbled with his keys. "No, Mr. Potter, the schools will arrive at dinner. They do like to put on a memorable first appearance. I'm late because I was escorting a few first years who broke into my storage cupboards to detention," he explained while opening the door and letting the students in.

"Delivering them to detention? Now?" Jeremiah called out in surprise.

"Yes well, Hagrid decides when he needs students to help him in the Forbidden Forest and sometimes his tasks are time-sensitive."

"But don't they have to go to class?" Sirius pointed out innocently enough. Remus knew exactly what he was thinking, even without the excited smile that flashed his way.

"Now, Mr. Black, I assure you that the detention I assigned is in fact a punishment," their potions professor said matter-of-fact as he opened the door and students trailed in to take their seats. Maybe Professor Slughorn was more aware of what went on in his class than Remus had originally thought.

"Ah, Miss Evans, already ready for our class I see? Where's your partner Mr...er, Mr. Lunin?"

Remus sighed, then again maybe not.

"Sitting with me today, professor. We have to share him since he's so popular," Sirius called out confidently. Several students laughed and Remus felt his face burn as he hurriedly sat down next to his daft friend. If there was one class he didn't want attention brought to him in it was potions class!

"Ah yes, yes well, everyone hurry up. We have a particularly difficult potion to make and..."

"What did you do that for?" Remus stopped paying attention as he whispered to Sirius angrily.

Sirius just shrugged, giving him a look that suggested he honestly didn't see the problem with what he just did. Remus sighed again, reminding himself that just because it was normal to want to throttle your friends on occasion didn't mean it should be done.