The confrontation

"Murat Sarsilmaz. What a pleasant surprise. Welcome.", greeted a sarcastic Emré.

"Err..hi Emré. Sorry I think I maybe got the wro..", responded a confused Murat before getting interrupted.

"Murat! Hi!", chirped Hayat jumping in from behind. "Erm, come in.", she urged glancing at her husband.

Murat didn't know what to do at this point. Was he stepping in to their apartment? As he was about to raise his voice, demanding an explanation from the two, Hayat spoke up.

"Emré's helped me settle in to my new place. You know I was complaining about the commute all the time, right?", she said while glaring at Murat, to confirm her version of the story to avoid raising any doubts about their relationship in front of Emré.

"He even kindly decided to drop my cargo off himself, even though he could have sent a worker. I feel terrible for having taken up your precious time.", Hayat confessed, looking at Emré this time.

"And as I already told you, Hayat. The driver had to take emergency leave and I had already promised you the job would be done today. Plus, in all honesty I rather enjoyed your company", he admitted, much to Murat's annoyance. Hayat smiled at him, grateful for his presence as he rescued her from her mind that was on the verge of spiralling out of control just before his arrival.

"Right! I'll leave you two to it, i'm sure you both have a lot to catch up on. And Hayat? At least 2-3 days compulsory rest. No protests. I'm not letting you back in the factory tomorrow morning, especially not when you're recovering from having just had stitches.", Emré warned her. Hayat nodded her head and thanked him before he turned to leave.

"Someone had to keep your wife company while you were away, Murat.", Emré whispered in his ear, smirking while on his way out. Emré had already left, closing the door behind him before Murat even had the chance to respond.

And there they were. Face to face with each other after a whole month of separation. The tension was so palpable, you could cut it with a knife. Murat took in her sight for a moment, feeling like he was unable to do so when she was wired up, with an oxygen mask the previous day. Hayat on the other hand, could barely get herself to look him in the eyes.

Murat was the first to speak up. "How are you feeling?", he asked breaking the awkward silence, genuinely concerned about her health.

"You didn't care for four weeks, Murat. Don't bother feigning concern now.", she spat, rolling her eyes at him.

He sighed before continuing, "I always cared, Hayat. Even when it seemed like I didn't."

Hayat snorted, "You have a great way of showing concern for people, Murat. Leaving your card details behind in place of a goodbye might be your definition of concern, not mine."

He had a feeling that was going to come back and haunt him after his realisation earlier that day with Hayat's note. "Hands up, I messed up. I promise to do better from now. Better communication. But I have missed you, Hayat. So much. I've missed waking up next to you every morning. Hearing your voice after a long day at work and watching the tiredness of the day disappear completely. Watching your face brighten up at the smallest of things. I thought of you the whole time. At breakfast, whilst watching them whip up Nutella pancakes. In conferences, when they handed us these weird strawberry scented pens. At Panera, where you'd fall in love with the tea they serve. None of these experiences meant anything without you. Please come back home."