➼chapter 16; charms and lockets

Start from the beginning

They didn't reply, but simply yanked Serena into the seat beside them. Before the girl could ask another question, the twins shared a glance and began talking, Fred going first with George explaining second.

"Bagman owes us money-"

"It was at the World Cup, we made a bet with Ludo Bagman, the commentator, about the outcome of the game-"

"How Ireland would win, but Krum would get the Snitch-"

"We gave him our entire savings, even a fake wand-"

"And he paid us with leprechaun gold. By next morning, it had gone!"

"It was probably a mistake, so we're writing him a letter asking for our money back." George finished.

Serena's ring turned a bright red that match her hair. "That was no mistake! You've been swindled!"

"Exactly why we're writing him. We're getting out money back." Fred said as he grabbed the parchment and added a sentence to the paragraph already written.

George read what Fred had written before shaking his head, scratching the sentence out with his quill. "No - that sounds like we're accusing him. Got to be careful. . ."

Serena rolled her eyes. "But you are accusing him. Because he stole from you!"

But George didn't answer as he looked over Serena's shoulder, smiling at someone behind them. "Harry's watching us. Let's just finish this tomorrow."

Fred and Serena nodded, the twins rolling up their parchment while the girl picked up her bag. Saying goodnight to no one in particular, Serena followed Fred and George up the boys dormitory, the twins unfazed by the girl in their room since she comes by often.

George opened the drawer of his nightstand beside his bed and stuffed the letter in before turning to Serena. "Oh I almost forgot," he said as he pulled out a box of cauldron cakes. "Here's your birthday present! And don't worry, the red colour will be gone by morning."

"Thanks, Georgie!" Serena said, giving him a quick hug.

George turned to his brother, a light smirk playing on his lips. "Freddie, why don't you give the birthday girl her present?"

Serena didn't know why Fred turned slightly pink, glaring at George. In a swift motion, he took out a box from his desk, grabbed Serena's hand, and pulled her out of the room. They stood in the hallway, Fred nervously rubbing the back of his neck as he pushed the box into her hands. "Er, well... here you go."

The girl excitedly opened the box, which revealed a golden bracelet with a single Gryffindor house charm.

"Well, I know you accidentally broke the bracelet I gave you before so... I though I'd get you another."

Serena grimaced. "I still feel horrible about that. I've had it since second year and snapped it."

"I was sorta expecting it, you break everything." Fred chuckled as he took her hand, sliding the gold bracelet onto her wrist.

Her heart jumped in her chest at the action. "I love it," Serena said, and with a new-found confidence, she took a step forward before wrapping her arms around his neck. "Thank you, Fred Weasley."

Fred hesitantly hugged her back, immediately missing her warmth when she pulled away. "You're welcome, Serena Mallard."

Serena didn't notice her ring turn pink in her giddy excitement as she quickly went back inside their dorm to get her gift bag, bidding the twins goodnight as she hurried to her own dormitory.