Chapter 38

The next day, we do not have basketball practice after school, so my mother takes me dress shopping for the autumn ball. I have never been the girl who has particularly enjoyed shopping, especially not for such a formal event. We head into town where there are a variety of different boutiques from Fraser's to Elliot's, we go from boutique to boutique in search of the perfect dress. Back home, I had been to all the homecoming dances, but that was always semi-formal attire. I guess in the springtime I would have gone to prom well if I would have managed to get asked. I had a date my freshman and sophomore year to homecoming by default of the fact that my friend's always had guys begging them to be their date, so they were able to convince one of their date's friends to take me suggesting that it would be a perfect pairing. Those poor dates, they probably wished they did not get roped into going with me. I was not much of a date. I hated photos, never danced, and terrible at small talk with guys that I barely knew. Not to mention, I never went to any afterparty, but always asked my date to drop me off at home before going on alone. I was starting to feel bad for Aiden, and a part of me wished that I had been upfront with him. Maybe I could have even convinced him to ask Annie, and that would have prevented any drama that ensued between us.

"Darling you need to stand up straight and smile," my mom tells me as I stand facing the mirror wearing a Sinclair embroidered strapless ball gown.

"This is ugly," I say clearly showing my discontentment with my mom's choice.

"It's quite lovely my dear. Look what it does for your figure," I look at myself in the mirror unimpressed. Isis and Cleopatra had been working magic on me accentuating my facial features – making my lips fuller, my face narrower, and cheekbones higher. The goddess and pharaoh must have sculptured my figure too making my bust bigger and adding some curves to my body.

"I hate this dress," I say a little too loudly, receiving a glare from one of the sales assistants. I roll my eyes in response. I find a dress I actually like, and my mom just nods in disapproval. It has too deep of a v, and not proper enough for such an elegant event she explains. That is the whole point, I think to myself. I have to wear something provocative in order to make someone who shall not be named regret the decisions that he has made. Isn't that maybe the whole point of getting dressed up for these events anyways? Trying to impression someone who does not want you so that they know they are missing out on how stunning you are? Or to confirm to someone who did choose you that they made the right choice. I laugh to myself. I wonder if that is why Isis continues to bless me, she must think that I can be as devious as she often is. And I am sure Cleopatra would love the idea of me ensnaring people with the blessings she has imparted on my looks.

We go to probably ten different boutiques trying on endless numbers of dresses. From simple yellow to floral patterns and strapless to high neck and satin to layers of tool, we sort through assortments of dresses. Most of the dresses, I am not really impressed especially considering the fact that the prices are appallingly steep. Finally, I find the perfect dress at Reincarnation's boutique – ironic? Quite possibly. Though, I will not tell you about the dress I bought right away for I do not want to spoil anything too early. Though standing and staring at myself in the mirror, I could not help but feel so lost inside. I might have looked stunning on the outside, but on the inside I felt hollow. I felt so alone. I honestly felt a little shattered, and it might have been mainly from my own undoing. I was missing Egypt, not the dangers that it had evoked, but the love that broke from that trip. I was not just referring to my feelings towards Finley that had always made me excited for whatever lies ahead. I was missing the love of my friends. I felt distant from the other gents especially after closing myself off from Olivier even though he seemed to be begging to let me in.

And then there's Annie. I might not be able to fix what was shattered between Finley and I which might be best to ensure the wellbeing of my heart; though, I could make amends with Annie. My pride was begging me to stop, to not throw it aside. But my heart was saying to lay it down, set it aside. For love is not proud. And I believe the pleasure to love others is more pleasing than any feeling that one's pride might gift you for the time being.