Chapter Twenty-Two - Gobble Gobble, I'm in Trouble - Part One

Start from the beginning

It was so quiet and peaceful. I wrapped my jacket around me. It had gotten chilly in the month of November. To think, in only one month from now, this spacious estate would be filled with friends and family for the wedding.

The reception was taking place in the newly renovated function room, as well as a large tent that would be set up in the backyard. The location of the wedding ceremony was still under talks; mom wanted it in the outside tent, but Patrick told her to think about the weather and how cold it would become.

I had a feeling mom would get her way.

I was so happy for my mom, but truth be told, I couldn't wait for all this wedding stuff to be over. She wanted us all to come to the cake tasting with her next week and hey, I'm not saying I don't love cake as much as the next person because I do, probably more than I should, but a girl can only handle so much wedding crap when it's not her own wedding. Not that I wanted to get married, well I did, but not now or anywhere soon.

Zeus came running towards me from the terrace, tongue hanging out and teeth bared in a canine grin. I crouched down and he barreled towards me and just at the right time, before crashing into me, he leaped and I caught him in my arms.

"Hey you furry thing," I cooed, nuzzling him close to me as he tried to wash my face with his tongue. He was having the time of his life here, having so much space to run around in. I could really tell that he loved it.

Despite never having owned a dog, from what he had told me, Jace handled my tiny precious baby with enormous care and I would find them playing outside several times during the week. Zeus didn't care that the human he played with was an arrogant and self-centered jerk, not as long as he had someone throw a stick for him to chase after.

"Honey!" I turned around at the sound of my mother's voice, letting down Zeus as he started to struggle against my grip. He sped across the yard towards my mom.

"Are you coming in to help me with the food preparations?"

"Be right there, mom," I called back. With one last glance at the pine forest shielding the lake from view, I trotted across the neatly trimmed grass, back towards the house.

"Good." my mother said as I entered the kitchen. There were stuff everywhere. Boxes of food, containers and wrappings were scattered around on every available surface of the large kitchen.

"Grab an apron in the cupboard and get started on the vegetables."

"Aye aye captain," I saluted and went to work. I knew my mother wanted a perfect Thanksgiving this year, as one big happy family. Also, it was the first time my grandparents were coming to visit the Jones'. Which posed another problem - my grandfather hated rich people, especially those who flaunted their money in other people's faces, with their fancy cars, fancy houses and fancy everything.

Patrick had met my grandfather a couple of times before, but always on neutral grounds, like in restaurants or even at our old house. This time, it would be a whole different scenario. He would be up close and personal with Patrick's wealth.

"So," I slowly said, as I began chopping up carrots. "When are Gramps and Gran flying in?" I eyed my mother, looking for any signs of unease or anxiety on facing tomorrow and the problems it would no doubt bring.

"They should be at the airport around nine am," she said calmly, her back turned to me.

"Are you picking them up?"

"Patrick is, actually." My knife nearly missed the carrot and the slicing came out completely uneven.

Oh boy, that car ride could not end well.