Chapter forty seven - In which Tony uses the B-word

Start from the beginning

Your back ached from lying on a hard table for a long period of time and you looked longingly over at the beds which lined the far wall as you dropped the hem of your shirt.

Loki sighed, getting to his feet in resignation.

Let me carry you.

No-

He was already gently lifting you off the table; you screwed your eyes shut and turned your face away as pain lanced across your side. Never before had a bed felt so soft or inviting; you were half asleep again before Loki had even put you down properly. You could feel how tired he was even over your own fatigue.

"C'mere." you murmured as he set you down, keeping hold of his arm.

No-

You yanked on his arm, ignoring how much it hurt, and he practically collapsed on the bed next to you.

I'm not going to be able to stay awake.

He thought you were worried about the others seeing.

I don't care. They know.

Relieved, he moved his arm behind your head so you could rest your head on his shoulder and remain on your back. Eyes already closed, you reached up with your left hand, the side which didn't have a stab wound in it, and intertwined your fingers with Loki's left hand which was next to your head. He squeezed your hand briefly before falling straight back to sleep.

Trying to ignore the dull ache which remained in your side and nose, you just had time to wonder if the stab wound would leave a scar before you too fell back asleep.

Bruce refused to speak to you for a week after he came to check on you in the morning and saw you and Loki asleep together.

Six months later

"Y/N, where's your boyfriend?"

"I don't know, hiding from the sun somewhere."

"Find him and get downstairs will you? Fury wants to talk to you."

You sat up abruptly. "Fury's here?"

"No, just on the phone."

"Oh." you sighed in relief, shielding your eyes from the glaring sun to squint at Tony. You were sunbathing on the roof of the Avengers Tower; the mid-August sun still warm enough to justify you wearing summer clothes. You noted Tony's use of the b-word with amusement, it had only taken him seven months to accept that you and Loki were a thing.

Tony disappeared back inside and you stood up and stretched, brushing your fingers over the scar just above your right hip as you did so. It had been half a year since you'd been stabbed for the first time, and since then you'd acquired more than a few more scars on various parts of your body. It wasn't something you were pleased about, but you didn't mind them really.

Lokes?

Yeah?

Tony wants to see us.

Alright. I'll be up in a minute.

The connection between you and Loki had only grown stronger in the last half year. You could communicate with each other over a distance of almost five miles (you'd spent a few nights testing how far you could teleport from one another and still communicate a few months ago), and when you were any closer than that it was as easy to talk to each other as though you were in the same room.

Of course, this wasn't much use when he got sent off on his SHIELD assignments, sometimes for weeks at a time. The worst one had been throughout the whole month of May; Loki had been gone for twenty eight days and you'd heard nothing from either him or SHIELD for that whole time. When he had finally turned up at the tower safe, you'd been on the brink of storming the HQ and demanding to speak to Fury yourself. Upon seeing Loki you were so relieved that you'd gone into shock, been rendered temporarily unable to speak and then cried for twenty minutes straight. The others hadn't let you hear the end of it; you still feigned ignorance whenever anyone decided to bring it up.